Instagram: new favorite Apple application
With over ten million users and counting, Instagram has become increasingly popular in the Apple App Store.
The quirky application creates a social network that allows users to share their life through a series of snapshots. Users can take pictures and share them on the service, or on a variety of other social networking sites, including Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare and Tumblr.
Photography enthusiasts, along with novices, can enjoy the user-friendly app. It allows users to take a photo, which is then confined into a square shape, rather than the 4:3 aspect ratio normally used by iOS device cameras. In addition to taking photos with the app, users can also use pictures that are already located in their photo library. Users can then edit their photos through a filter, which transforms the color, mood, border and tonality of the image. There are currently 11 custom filters, all of which were produced from scratch by the Instagram team.
The popular app pays homage to both the Kodak Instamatic and Polaroid cameras. The Instagram website states, "We loved how all the old Polaroid cameras marketed themselves as ‘instant' (something we take for granted today). We also felt that the snapshots people were taking were kind of like telegrams in that they got sent over the wire to others -- so we figured why not combine the two?"
Instagram launched in the Apple App Store on Oct. 6, 2010. By December of that year, the app had one million registered users. By June 2011, they reached 5 million, and by September 2011 Instagram had passed 10 million registered users. They announced that 100 million photos had been uploaded to their service as of July 2011; the total then reached 150 million in August of the same year. This previous December, Apple Inc. named Instagram "App of the Year" for 2011.
Instagram has become a popular app among college students. Freshman Spanish major Sarah Seibert from Cabot started using the app after she heard about it from her friends. "My best friend had the app and I thought it was cool. I've had it for about a year now, and I check it every day," Seibert states. "It makes me feel like a photographer, even though I'm really not one."
Andrew Fleeman, Sophomore Marketing major of Manila, discovered the app by browsing through the App Store at random. "I found it for free so I was like...what the heck, I might as well try it," Fleeman states. Since then, he has been using the app for about a year. "My favorite part about Instagram is its simplicity. They were able to take a simple photo app and make it to where people could edit and share." Fleeman says that his favorite filter to use for editing is X-Pro II. "The reason that it is my favorite filter is because it decreases the exposure and has the black lens correction around the outside. It makes the picture look more professional."
Instagram also has a blog that lists information about the app. Blog.instagram.com allows for users to look up different tricks and features to enhance the quality of their photos. In addition to these tips, the blog also contains a series known as the Weekend Hashtag Project, which encourages users to take photos that are described by a particular hashtag every weekend.
Instagram is currently available in the Apple App Store for free and is compatible with any iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS 3.1.2 or above.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor