It's all about 'Her'
Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) is an anti-social, alienated recluse who seems to avoid interactions not so much with an air of aloofness as much as uncertainty.
He is warm to those he trusts and feels connected to, but those individuals are few and far between. The longing he feels for his ex-wife, and the desire to experience that sort of love again, is funneled into his occupation of—in a sense—ghost writing letters between loved ones; it certainly is curious work. This contrast between Twombly’s touching words and lack of real-life love draw the audience even more into the character.
Then we meet Samantha (Scarlett Johansson), an operating system specifically designed for not only Theodore’s intelligence but also his lack of interaction with the outside world. The depth of their relationship ventures into jealousy, passion, sex, remorse, guilt and many more emotions that are seen in any human to human relationship.
While at first it may seem that a man has an unusual relationship with his computer, director Spike Jonze almost effortlessly unfolds this enchanting, saddening, damaging and delightful love story one would swear is just between two very in-love people.
At the end of the day it is the simplicity of this film that makes it so evocative. The cinematography is absolutely stunning and the landscape of L.A., with a smidge of Shanghai thrown in, make this film all that much more enjoyable to watch.
Spike Jonze didn’t force feed us this story we might find unbelievable. Rather, he let it develop naturally, replete with speed bumps and disappointments found in any natural relationship, and it certainly left the audience reeling with questions they felt were so easier to answer before: questions about sex, love, identity and artificial intelligence.
A friend of mine referred to this film as “challenging.” I think that’s probably the most accurate description of this film. Whether it is frustrating you, making you laugh, maybe making you a bit uncomfortable or tugging on your heartstrings, this movie will challenge what you know and what you believe about so many things.
Amy Adams and Rooney Mara turn in stellar supporting roles, and even “Parks and Recreation’s” Chris Pratt adds some well-timed comedic quips in the midst of what turns out to be a pretty dramatic “comedy.”
Johansson easily could have been nominated for her voice work in this film as she brought life to the character of Samantha, and did so much to convey every imaginable emotion in just the words that she said. To not even be present for the filming (Johansson was chosen after shooting was wrapped), and yet develop so much chemistry with Joaquin Phoenix is nothing short of remarkable.
Currently nominated for Best Picture, it is no surprise that “Her” has garnered so much notoriety both with critics and audiences alike. Please, do yourself a favor and see this movie. It is definitely worth the watch.
4.5 out of 5
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists