Let's hear it for the boy
Trucks race across the country delivering pounds of roses. Boxes of chocolate are in abundance on every shelf, almost as if they descended down like manna from heaven. Cards replete with cheesy utterances and plenty of hearts and cupids flood the aisles. You stand in a swirl of chaotic, sweaty desperation. All these frantic men full of fear jostling each other in their fleeting last seconds, and that’s when it hits you: it’s Valentine’s Day. If you’re a man, and you’re reading this; don’t worry. It isn’t actually Valentine’s Day yet, though you’re losing precious seconds of planning by reading this article, so for the love of all things holy, get out of here! Go make wonderfully romantic plans for your significant other. If you’re a guy, and you’ve already made awesome plans for your boo-thang, then take a seat, sit back, and relax. Way to be ahead of the game, go you!
Valentine’s Day can incite fear in the most courageous of men or excite others who feel like it is their time to shine, gosh-darnit. They are going to take this chance to romanticize Sally Gally’s socks off – maybe literally. Let’s be honest, it’s Valentine’s Day.
Chase Cook, a junior social science major of Jonesboro, said he is excited for Valentine’s day because he feels like it is a good chance to make his girlfriend happy like she makes him.
Others, however, aren’t so infatuated with this couple’s holiday. They feel there is a lot of pressure to perform well with the date and gift, and if both don’t meet some universal standard, then a girl could be left feeling like her man doesn’t care about her as much.
This is an interesting idea; according to a survey done by Time magazine, “Both men and women who are in relationships expect an average of $240 will be spent on them.” This is funny considering that according to this same survey, men and women both plan to spend less than $100 on one another.
What happened to the days when you could just buy a box of funny or interesting Valentine’s cards and give them to everyone in class and call it a win?
Valentine’s Day puts a lot of pressure on guys to come through in this big, romantic way, and for those guys not blessed with romantic ability, it can be very stressful. From girls and guys alike, I hear one of the most romantic things is spontaneity. No cause, no context, just going out of your way to do something special for that special person in your life. V-Day does away with that and often originality too.
It seems more like an obligation than a desire, and that doesn’t seem very special. But maybe it doesn’t have to be as long as the one you do it for ends up happy. I guess that’s the point, and so year after year guys will enter back into stores with precious minutes to spare in order to get that last box of chocolates.
Even if they aren’t romantic and even if the day isn’t special, I suppose it means something that they would lay down their pride and go through with it anyway. And hey, that’s okay too.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor