Local punk band drops Turds
The punk scene has been withering since the early 2000s, but apparently nobody told Tiger$tyle, as they are still bringing that particular brand of showmanship to the local scene. Equal parts Minor Threat, Beastie Boys and Colt 45, these guys have been putting on some fairly outrageous shows in the area and even put out an EP recently. Last Saturday I met up with the band members, and they gave me a bit of history, as well as filling me in on what they have planned for the future.
It happened in 2010, said front man Tolik Rayevskiy, speaking of the genesis of the band, Because Id always kinda wanted to be in a punk/hardcore band, and I thought if [some of the local kids] could pull it off, then so could I.
He eventually recruited his brother Sasha on bass, Julian Sanchez on guitar and Ryan Payne on drums, at which point they started working on material. Later that year, Logan Woodward came in as a second guitarist, and at that point the band began to actually prepare for shows.
We basically just over-hyped ourselves, Sasha said, and people would ask us to play for them. Weve really only booked one show. Nevertheless, the hype worked and theyve been in high demand locally, mainly due to the infamous nature of their live performances.
Shows are where these guys really show effort. Figuring out what antics will be going on at the next performance is tantamount to devoted writing time for the band. As an example, Tolik described a gig they played at JHS that went awry: We wanted to do a Super Mario theme, basically just for the intricateness of it--the costumes, the music, we had to even build a stage, Rayevskiy recalled. When the night arrived, it turned out that they were going to be playing for a less-than-huge crowd, and ended up setting the stage on fire in a failed attempt to spit fire.
Ever since then, Tiger$tyle has shied away from theme-based performances and has mostly been focusing on pushing a lot of energy from the stage, a tactic which has been successful, albeit one that leads to injuries in the crowd--one of the bands friends asserted she had gotten a black eye at their most recent concert.
Their EP, Turds, is the result of a drunken week with a friend who recorded them playing mostly new material in a basically live atmosphere, and it shows. Most of the tracks are barebones trash-punk numbers that fly along to grit-laden guitar and unintelligible lyrics and wrap up within a couple of minutes, reminiscent of the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) punk bands of old.
It was just a fun experience of recording on some really bad equipment and basically partying, which I think is very representative of Tiger$tyle and the sound we were going for, added Sanchez.
Tiger$tyle is not a band with a message. They dont try to make the best music out there. They dont even try to get booked, they just goof off on stage and try to get people to say What the hell did I just watch? when they walk out of the doors. In a generation oversaturated with artsy, whiny Indie pop I think an infusion of old-school punks screw-it attitude is a breath of fresh, unconditional air.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge