Microsoft readies release of revolutionary tablet
Anti-fingerprint coating, molten magnesium alloy frame, eight hour battery life and device walls that are 0.65mm, the new Microsoft Surface Windows RT tablet will give Apples iPad a run for its money.
The Surface tablet is on pre-order until tomorrow. On Monday, the United Kingdom sold out of the pre-ordered 32GB version of the tablet.
The new tablet will run a modified version of the new Windows 8 platform, which will officially be released in the U.S. on Oct. 26. The Windows RT version is designed to run on devices with ARM processors.
The VaporMG casing is designed to be tough yet elegant. According to Microsofts website, the tablet has a watch-like finish and is smooth and durable. The tablet weighs 1.5 pounds and is 9.30mm thick with a 10.6 inch screen.
Along with its elegant finish, the tablet has its own integrated kickstand to allow hands-free entertainment for movies or shooting videos.
Surface also has a front and rear-facing 720p HD video camera to capture life from all sides. The cameras lenses are designed with an ambient light sensor to maximize lighting while still keeping a sharp focus. Also Surfaces sides are slightly slanted to create a more comfortable grip.
Surface has two different keyboards the consumer can purchase separately. The Touch Cover clicks into place and offers a smooth, spill-resistant exterior. This keyboard doesnt have the physical keys like a normal keyboard would have. The board is completely flat and offers touch keys. The Touch Cover folds back onto Surface to automatically disable keystrokes for a full touchscreen experience. This keyboard is available in a variety of colors including white, black, cyan, red and magenta.
The Touch Cover can be purchased separately for $119.99 or bundled with Surface for an extra $100, making the bundled package $599. There is also a Type Cover which has the actual keys like a regular keyboard. The Type Cover costs $129.99 extra.
Surface comes with the basic computer ports: stereo speakers, full-size USB port, mircoSDXC card slot, HD video out port, headset jack and cover port. It also has two 2-by-2 MIMO antennas to provide reliable Internet connection.
With the word Microsoft appearing nowhere on the tablet, the iconic Windows logo appears on the kickstand and on the front of the tablet. When the logo on the front is pushed, the Start screen appears.
This Windows tablet is designed to run the Metro Start screen and Metro-style apps with touch controls. The Metro Start screen is unlike an ordinary start menu. The screen is an array of colored blocks labeled with the programs.
Programmed with Windows 8, Surface still allows users to snap two different applications or documents side-by-side to allow multi-tasking.
Surface also is equipped with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview which includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote.
The Surface Windows RT can be ordered with two different memory hard-drives. The 32GB costs $499 while the 64GB costs $699 and comes with the Touch Cover.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections