Plenty of fish in the virtual sea
Many people who use online dating, whether for a one-night-stand or a long-term relationship, usually remain quiet for fear of the judgmental response of not being able to meet someone “the normal way” through mutual friends or out at bars and coffee shops.
But despite the stigma that surrounds online dating, there are a great deal of benefits to turning to the computer for love.
Online, it is easy to chat with as many people as desired without having to get dressed up and leave the house. Online dating also expands the possibility of finding a connection without the constraints of distance. Many options exist, and there is no confusion as to whether or not they are looking for a relationship.
It can also be tailored to a person’s preference. Not looking for anything serious? Ready for true love? Simply say so in your profile to end confusion about intentions before even speaking with a person.
Online dating is not without its share of setbacks. First, it can be daunting to weed through the thousands of people, especially when the term “dating” means different things to everyone.
And of course, it is hard to truly get to know someone without meeting them in person, but it can be hard to meet if your match is thousands of miles away. It can also be overwhelming to have so many options, which means finding someone worthy of meeting in person can be time-consuming.
While common sense can help someone stay safe online, there is still room to get caught in a lie, as everyone’s profile will show their best self, and downplay or flat-out lie about the flaws.
Despite the setbacks, those who delve into the world of online dating can often times see many benefits. Choosing to date online does not mean that someone has trouble socializing, or is desperate to find a spouse. It is simply another way to meet and connect with others, and in a world where as fast and busy as it is in this current age, that may not be such a bad thing.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
- A-State creates smart campus app for android users on campus
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus