Swifts Red sells 1.2 million
Americas sweetheart country artist Taylor Swift has topped the music charts with her fourth studio album, Red. Swifts country-pop twist album was released Oct. 22. The 22-year-old singers new album sold 1.2 million copies in the U.S. alone in its first week.
Taylor Swift holds the record of the first woman to reach the 1 million mark twice, consecutively at that. Her third studio album, Speak Now, was the first album to reach the 1 million mark with a total of 1.04 million copies.
Red sold a skyrocketing 1.2 million copies. Her first million plus record debuted on the Billboard Top 200 chart in 2010. Red, recorded on Big Machine Records, reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart and the Country Albums chart.
Swifts record breaking success comes at no surprise. Ever since the artist released her first debut single Tim McGraw in 2006, the singer has risen to stardom. From taking home five American Music Awards to an MTV Video Music Award which Kanye West stole the spotlight from with his Beyonce had the greatest music video of all time comment Taylor Swift has had nothing but success.
The album incorporates a combination of different genres. The music flows from country to pop to rock, and even a little dubstep on the song I Knew You Were Trouble.
Swift collaborated with artists like Ed Sheeran on the song Everything Has Changed and Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol on the single, The Last Time. Her leading single is We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, which was performed at the VMA awards this year.
The first song on the album, State Of Grace, starts off with a rock rhythm. The edgy beat continues with the next single, Red, which is the title song of the album.
I called it (the album) that because of the tumultuous, crazy adventures in love and loss that it chronicles. In retrospect, it all looks red, Swift said.
Swift slows it down later in the album to the country-pop beat fans are used to listening to. Treacherous speaks about an unhealthy relationship, yet as she says I like it. In the single, 22, Swift sings about feeling 22. This party song is about forgetting about all the worries, flirting and having fun.
The single We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, which is speculated to be about actor Jake Gyllenhaal, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Country Songs charts. Swifts break-up song is about an on and off relationship. Swift has clearly set it in stone that she and her ex are never ever, ever, ever getting back together like ever.
On November 1, Swift performed her last single on the Red album, Begin Again, live from Nashville, Tenn. for the 46th Annual CMA Awards. The singer delivered a heart-felt performance, which received a standing ovation.
The six-time Grammy Award winner is scheduled to have The Red Tour in 2013 from March to September. Next month, Swift will co-host the Grammy Nominations Concert Live: Countdown to Musics Biggest Night with LL Cool J at the Bridgestone Area in Nashville, Tenn., and it will air Wednesday, Dec. 5 on CBS.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge