Swifts Red sells 1.2 million
Americas sweetheart country artist Taylor Swift has topped the music charts with her fourth studio album, Red. Swifts country-pop twist album was released Oct. 22. The 22-year-old singers new album sold 1.2 million copies in the U.S. alone in its first week.
Taylor Swift holds the record of the first woman to reach the 1 million mark twice, consecutively at that. Her third studio album, Speak Now, was the first album to reach the 1 million mark with a total of 1.04 million copies.
Red sold a skyrocketing 1.2 million copies. Her first million plus record debuted on the Billboard Top 200 chart in 2010. Red, recorded on Big Machine Records, reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart and the Country Albums chart.
Swifts record breaking success comes at no surprise. Ever since the artist released her first debut single Tim McGraw in 2006, the singer has risen to stardom. From taking home five American Music Awards to an MTV Video Music Award which Kanye West stole the spotlight from with his Beyonce had the greatest music video of all time comment Taylor Swift has had nothing but success.
The album incorporates a combination of different genres. The music flows from country to pop to rock, and even a little dubstep on the song I Knew You Were Trouble.
Swift collaborated with artists like Ed Sheeran on the song Everything Has Changed and Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol on the single, The Last Time. Her leading single is We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, which was performed at the VMA awards this year.
The first song on the album, State Of Grace, starts off with a rock rhythm. The edgy beat continues with the next single, Red, which is the title song of the album.
I called it (the album) that because of the tumultuous, crazy adventures in love and loss that it chronicles. In retrospect, it all looks red, Swift said.
Swift slows it down later in the album to the country-pop beat fans are used to listening to. Treacherous speaks about an unhealthy relationship, yet as she says I like it. In the single, 22, Swift sings about feeling 22. This party song is about forgetting about all the worries, flirting and having fun.
The single We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, which is speculated to be about actor Jake Gyllenhaal, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Country Songs charts. Swifts break-up song is about an on and off relationship. Swift has clearly set it in stone that she and her ex are never ever, ever, ever getting back together like ever.
On November 1, Swift performed her last single on the Red album, Begin Again, live from Nashville, Tenn. for the 46th Annual CMA Awards. The singer delivered a heart-felt performance, which received a standing ovation.
The six-time Grammy Award winner is scheduled to have The Red Tour in 2013 from March to September. Next month, Swift will co-host the Grammy Nominations Concert Live: Countdown to Musics Biggest Night with LL Cool J at the Bridgestone Area in Nashville, Tenn., and it will air Wednesday, Dec. 5 on CBS.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR