Twitter account brings love to A-State
If students have a crush this Valentine’s Day but are too shy to do anything about it, fear not. Twitter account @AStateCrushes will pass along the message.
The anonymous account popped up when Red Wolves returned to school in January and currently has over 800 followers. There’s a certain power to holding all of those confessions but the account holder doesn’t plan on spilling his secrets any time soon.
“It’s kind of fun. I’m not one to judge anybody for what they put on there,” he said. “I try to not make a big deal out of it.”
AStateCrushes started the account after seeing similar accounts for other colleges, such as @BamaCrushes.
“I was like, you know, that would be a good idea,” he said.
The anonymous student said he hasn’t heard of any blossoming relationships due to the tweets but they have led to at least one person finding out who their crush is. Yet the Twitter Cupid said none of his good friends know it’s him behind the screen.
“Most people don’t really know who I am, I guess,” he added.
In addition to Twitter he has a Snapchat account (astatecrush), where he cleverly disguises his identity but allows students a chance to track him down on campus. He said if he finds a way to get the account on Facebook also he would like to do so.
AStateCrushes said he expects submissions to become more frequent with Valentine’s Day approaching, and with all the bad weather crushes were continuously submitted. The tweets vary in their nature though.
“You get some really sweet ones,” he said. “On the other side, people just like saying pretty gross things. I don’t really have a favorite but I enjoy reading them all.”
Lindsay Mauldin, a sophomore psychology and health profession major of Newport, said she wasn’t too sure of the account when it was first created.
“I’m honestly thankful for it now,” she said. “It’s almost like a way of having a confidence boost when you see your name has been posted on it, only without knowing who was behind it.”
Although Mauldin has never sent in a crush confession to AstateCrushes, she has seen her name posted a few times. She added it was a good feeling seeing those posts with such kind words about her. In addition to liking the personal tweets Mauldin said her favorites are about the sororities.
“It’s very sweet of whoever to send in the crush to say it’s for the entire sorority as a whole,” she said. “It lets you know that you’ve at least impacted one person enough for them to say that.”
Other students think the account can help those who might be too afraid to talk to their crush.
“I think that AstateCrushes is a witty yet cute way for students to anonymously state who they are crushing on,” Abby Kuonen, a junior interdisciplinary studies major of Russellville, said. She added it allows a way for people to avoid possible rejection and nervousness.
The account holder himself is single for Valentine’s Day and said he isn’t necessarily planning on using Twitter to change that.
“But if it were to happen one way or another I definitely would do it,” he added.
AStateCrushes said he wasn’t sure about the future of the account. He will graduate in May and hasn’t thought too much about what will happen to the it.
“We’ll see what happens,” he said. “I’d be more than willing to pass it down to someone if they can handle the responsibility.
Submissions to @AStateCrushes can be sent to ask.fm/AStateCrushes or direct messaged on Twitter. All crushes are kept anonymous.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists