Winter is still coming
Although the season four premiere of “Game of Thrones” was entitled “Two Swords,” it was one sword, Needle, that stole the show. Warning: spoilers ahead.
“Two Swords” referenced the recasting of Ned Stark’s great sword into two for the House of Lannister, adding just one more injury to the House of Stark.
The family legacy and honor of the Starks, now seemingly destroyed, finds new hope in young Arya Stark. The previous season of Game of Thrones had left her in the hands of the Hound, a deserter of the King’s Guard, who is hoping to make ransom money off the young girl.
Of course, with the Hound, comedy and violence abound. The plot thickens when Arya recognizes Polliver, the man who stole her sword Needle and dramatically killed her friend Lommy.
After a gory bar brawl, Ayra recovers her sword and takes the opportunity to seek the revenge she prayed for. She deals justice slowly, very slowly, menacingly repeating the very words Polliver said to Lommy before easing her sword into Polliver’s own throat. (“Something wrong with your leg boy?”)
Unlike Arya’s revenge, the premier was anything but slow. Season four returned to its fast paced, bloody, erotic and politically mischievous storyline. The HBO spot on Sunday night hit a show record-breaking 6.6 million viewers, according to hollywoodreporter.com.
Although new season premiers are often plagued with boring scenes as producers are forced to reintroduce characters and plots, the premiere managed to conjure up the same gory fighting scenes, brothels and dragons that got viewers hooked to begin with.
The surfing between characters in a Lord of the Rings Tolkien-esqe fashion keeps the audience up to date on the various characters spread across the kingdoms, which is Incredibly useful for those of us who have abstained from reading the series.
Daenerys Targaryen’s dragons grew a substantial amount during the show’s hiatus. They remain too small to ride, but from the scenes and dialogue it is clear that dragons are unable to be tamed.
With the introduction of Prince Oberyn Martell, King’s Landing is bound to become far more interesting in season four. Unless, of course, you currently enjoy watching Sansa Stark being manically depressed and doing absolutely nothing.
We meet the Oberyn at Little Finger’s brothel where he is in the middle of selecting mates for an orgy. Before long, audiences realize his arrival to King’s Landing for the royal wedding is business and pleasure, as he drives a dagger through the wrist of a jolly Lannister supporter in his opening scene. It appears the fourth season has introduced another character that would enjoy dethroning King Joffrey, after it so disturbingly destroyed the House of Stark’s attempt with the Red Wedding.
If the premiere has revealed anything about what to expect in season four, it stems from three themes: dragons are untamable, Arya Stark enjoys killing and everyone still hates Joffrey.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists