ASU theater brings Boeing Boeing
There was a rumble of suspense when the lights dimmed and the actors came to life on stage Friday night at the opening of Boeing Boeing.
The setting begins in a nice French apartment with a couple eating breakfast. Soon enough the audience is advised that the relationship is not what it seems and perhaps the man has a little secret.
Written by Marc Camoletti, Boeing Boeing is a farce about an architect, Bernard, who lives in Paris and has a relationship with three flight attendants; without them knowing of course.
Bernard, portrayed by senior theater major Tyler Gartska of Austin, has allies who help maintain his affairs secret from each of his lovers.
Berthe the maid, played by sophomore theater major Dru Ergle of Jonesboro, is one of the allies.
No matter who you are, youre going to think its funny because its funny circumstances that are happening, Ergle said.
Ergle said the comedy of the play is fun for any age.
There were times in rehearsals where we had to stop because we could not stop laughing, Ergle said. Its tons of fun.
Clint Stevens, a sophomore theater major of Huntsville, played the role of Robert, Bernards close friend. He said the play is very chaotic, and the physical acting makes it very funny.
Its a farce so its going to be extremely funny, Stevens said. I would describe it as a bunch of jibber-jabber and a whole lot of kissing.
With the premise of the play including international mistresses, stage director Molly Simpson teamed up with dialect coach Lisa Bohn to bring out Italian, French and German accents. Ergle said during rehearsal, the actors would often break character and laugh at something another actor would do or say.
Friday was opening night for Boeing Boeing, and it ended with a roar of laughter and a standing ovation. Cody Stevens, twin brother to Boeing Boeing actor Clint Stevens, said his brother did very well.
I didnt give him permission to kiss all those girls, Stevens said.
As Stevens described, the play includes slight innuendos and plenty of kissing. Marina Pearson who played Gabriella, Sarah Ring who played Gloria and Alaina Kizer who played Gretchen, all kissed Garstka throughout the play. Ring and Kizer also kissed Clint Stevens.
Rob Gordon, friend to some of the actors in the play, said he was jealous of all the kissing that happened on stage. He recommended friends to see the play, saying its hilarious.
All the actors and actresses did really good, Gordon said.
As the actors came out of their dressing rooms, a thunder of applause from family and friends filled the Fowler Center.
Students and adults alike congratulated each actor for their performance and recounted memorable moments.
If you just broke up with your boyfriend or girlfriend, come watch the play if you want a good laugh, Cody Stevens said.
Boeing Boeing will have showings at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 12-14 at the Fowler Center.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge