BCM blessed with new minister
An A-State journey is beginning anew for Baptist minister Jerome Stockert. The 1989 ASU graduate is returning to campus as the new director for the Baptist Collegiate Ministries.
The students of BCM have welcomed Stockert with open arms. During his first week as minister he has left a long lasting impression on all who attend the ministry.
Olivia Peek, sophomore communication disorders major of Pine Bluff, said, “(Stockert) really has a heart for ASU students and the Lord. He has already connected with so many of us.”
Other students have expressed how much they have enjoyed having Stockert in their ministry now. They have described him as a nice guy who brings a new kind of humor to the BCM.
Stockert said he is excited to enter a ministry where God is already moving in the lives of students. “God has been changing them and (they are) being used to do amazing things,” Stockert said. He said he hopes to further their growth in Christ through keeping his focus on the students.
Stockert is returning to Jonesboro after ministering to churches in Pennsylvania and Louisiana. His new position at ASU is a homecoming for both he and his wife Andrea of 23 years, who is also an alumnus.
For years, Stockert has been called to establish and grow churches. Now the biggest challenge he faces is jumping into a ministry that is already strong and thriving. Stockert said he is adapting well to life on campus, is very excited for the opportunity to take part in the amazing things happening on campus and is ready to begin lifting BCM even higher.
“We want to be a place that when people look at us, they know beyond the shadow of a doubt that we love God, we love people and we make a difference,” Stockert said.
Stockert said he is overjoyed at the opportunity he has been given to be a positive addition to the ASU BCM’s growing family. During his time here he hopes to challenge the students to go above and beyond in their journey with Christ. He describes his job simply as being a middle-man for God and helping others tell the story of Jesus. For his ministry, it is all about the students achieving a new level of closeness with God.
The ASU BCM is a non-profit Christian ministry operated by the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. A-State’s branch is best known for $1 Wednesday lunches and 6:15 Thursday night worship. The ministry also sponsors numerous Bible studies throughout the week and international student conversation clubs on Monday evenings.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists