Book Signing: A textbook for all majors
Students of all majors will now be able to benefit from the practical experience, reasoning and writing of two A-State faculty members through their new McGraw-Hill textbook, “Marketing.”
The book signing and presentation event Tuesday helped reiterate the impact John Mello and Shane Hunt’s book will have on the A-State campus and the nationwide world of marketing education.
“This is a huge accomplishment,” said Melodie Philhours, interim chair of management and marketing. “We are fortunate to have these two professors here with us at Arkansas State. Our students are fortunate to learn from and take the class from the guys who wrote the book.”
“Marketing” is already predicted to be one of the bestsellers in the marketing and business field.
Hunt and Mello, both associate professors of marketing at A-State, have reached to spheres outside of merely marketing to make their textbook appeal to students of a wide range of majors.
“Regardless of what your major is, it is critical that you are able to market yourself,” Mello said.
Hunt said having a background in marketing can help students become equipped to enter a global and competitive job market.
“(We) wanted to equip students with the tools to merge the content in the book and help them be successful in their careers and job searches,” Hunt said.
Appealing to the practical side of marketing students was critical for both Hunt and Mello, who worked in the private sector for years before returning to postgraduate school.
“We really wanted to engage our students here at Arkansas State with content that was a place where theory meets practice,” Hunt said.
“Marketing” interweaves information on ethics, globalization and social media into every chapter of the text instead of isolating these vital issues.
“We don’t have specific chapters on those subjects, but what we have is content about those in every chapter in the book,” Hunt said. “Ethics, globalization and social media impact every decision we make as marketers, so students get a much more integrated approach, which reflects what John and I believe they will see when they get out in the real world.”
Hunt and Mello are already trying out their handiwork on spring 2014 semester introduction to marketing students. Three sections of the class are utilizing this textbook for their course, and so far the reviews have been positive.
“I think they like that we’ve brought a very practical approach to it,” Hunt said.
Mello said they have received uplifting feedback both at A-State and from other universities around the nation who are making use of the new text.
Jonathan Looney, a 2011 graduate of the A-State marketing program, said he hopes the testimonials and success stories included in the book will help motivate and drive future students to succeed. Looney is one of the featured graduates in the marketing textbook.
“The textbook is very, very applicable. Hopefully this book motivates them to strive and achieve their goals,” Looney said.
Mello said the second edition of the textbook is scheduled to be released in January of 2017.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections