Gifts for Graduates
It’s almost time to walk across the Convocation Center stage in cap and gown to finally take hold of a college diploma. But for anyone not graduating, that just means it is time to start looking for gifts for the class of 2014.
It is always a nice gesture to wrap up something practical any graduate can use for their new adult life, yet if a wad of cash isn’t an option (although the preferred one), there are several other ideas that will work just as well.
New luggage: Moving back in with mom and dad is becoming the norm, but others are taking this newfound freedom as an opportunity to travel overseas or cross country. New luggage will give graduates a chance to pack in style and safety, without fear of a new hole ripping in bags worn down from four years of moving in and out of dorms.
Kitchen appliances/utensils: Also great for the 20-something not going back to his or her parents’ place. Renting the first apartment can be a little hectic, but giving them something like a coffee maker, microwave or a set of utensils can let them relax and cross at least one thing off their shopping list.
Electronics: Maybe it’s time for a phone upgrade or a tablet charger has been lost. Regardless, technology will always be a winner when it comes to gifts. “I do want an iPad for convenience purposes,” said Brittany Green, a senior biology major of Camden.
Diploma frame: What better way to show off four or more years’ worth of hard work? Displaying their diploma will make any student proud and having a nice frame to hang it in on the wall adds a bit more sparkle to that shiny piece of paper.
Books: Being an adult is scary, but luckily there are plenty of books out there to make learning about taxes, loans and insurance a bit more easier. Having such writings on hand can help a graduate keep from scrambling about Google trying to find legitimate sources of help.
Business cards: This is a great present for graduates who are actively seeking a career after commencement day. A nice set of business cards that are professional and clean could help them get closer to that dream job by making a good impression on their future boss.
Gift cards: When all else fails, gift cards are the way to go. To make this option a bit more special, go for several gift cards among different stores or restaurants and pile them together in a little goody basket. There is no hassle with gift receipts or fake excitement over some useless gift; gift cards give freedom and options.
The best part about these ideas is that they are extremely flexible and allow for different options. When it comes down to it, your graduate will more than likely be excited for whatever you put a bow on.
Cassie Adams, a senior English major of Cabot, said she is headed to law school in the fall and expects to be fairly stressed out for the next three years of her life.
“The best graduation gifts I could receive would be any type of stress relievers,” she said. “Whether it be money to eliminate the stress of books, rent, groceries or school, or maybe something a little less practical like a massage or pedicure, I would really love something that would help ease my mind about grad school and my future responsibilities.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”