Gifts for Graduates
It’s almost time to walk across the Convocation Center stage in cap and gown to finally take hold of a college diploma. But for anyone not graduating, that just means it is time to start looking for gifts for the class of 2014.
It is always a nice gesture to wrap up something practical any graduate can use for their new adult life, yet if a wad of cash isn’t an option (although the preferred one), there are several other ideas that will work just as well.
New luggage: Moving back in with mom and dad is becoming the norm, but others are taking this newfound freedom as an opportunity to travel overseas or cross country. New luggage will give graduates a chance to pack in style and safety, without fear of a new hole ripping in bags worn down from four years of moving in and out of dorms.
Kitchen appliances/utensils: Also great for the 20-something not going back to his or her parents’ place. Renting the first apartment can be a little hectic, but giving them something like a coffee maker, microwave or a set of utensils can let them relax and cross at least one thing off their shopping list.
Electronics: Maybe it’s time for a phone upgrade or a tablet charger has been lost. Regardless, technology will always be a winner when it comes to gifts. “I do want an iPad for convenience purposes,” said Brittany Green, a senior biology major of Camden.
Diploma frame: What better way to show off four or more years’ worth of hard work? Displaying their diploma will make any student proud and having a nice frame to hang it in on the wall adds a bit more sparkle to that shiny piece of paper.
Books: Being an adult is scary, but luckily there are plenty of books out there to make learning about taxes, loans and insurance a bit more easier. Having such writings on hand can help a graduate keep from scrambling about Google trying to find legitimate sources of help.
Business cards: This is a great present for graduates who are actively seeking a career after commencement day. A nice set of business cards that are professional and clean could help them get closer to that dream job by making a good impression on their future boss.
Gift cards: When all else fails, gift cards are the way to go. To make this option a bit more special, go for several gift cards among different stores or restaurants and pile them together in a little goody basket. There is no hassle with gift receipts or fake excitement over some useless gift; gift cards give freedom and options.
The best part about these ideas is that they are extremely flexible and allow for different options. When it comes down to it, your graduate will more than likely be excited for whatever you put a bow on.
Cassie Adams, a senior English major of Cabot, said she is headed to law school in the fall and expects to be fairly stressed out for the next three years of her life.
“The best graduation gifts I could receive would be any type of stress relievers,” she said. “Whether it be money to eliminate the stress of books, rent, groceries or school, or maybe something a little less practical like a massage or pedicure, I would really love something that would help ease my mind about grad school and my future responsibilities.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge