Have a Heart
During the Have-A-Heart-A-Thon on Friday, volunteers throughout Jonesboro raised about $234,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
While the telethon was held at the Jonesboro Radio Group in downtown Jonesboro, many citizens from the city and ASU students were found collecting money at many of the major intersections.
Kaitlyn, a young girl who is a survivor of cancer, was granted her wish of going on a shopping spree by ASU's chapter of Chi Omega. Kaitlyn was present during the Have-A-Heart-A-Thon to speak about her experience with her wish being granted.
Shelby Walker, a sophomore exercise science major of West Memphis, said seeing Kaitlyn there was awe inspiring.
"When I saw Kaitlyn I was beyond excited, She had hair!" she said. "You could see it in her eyes how much better she felt. She's on the road to recovery and knowing that through Make-A-Wish we can help so many more children just get their wish come true during this hard time makes all of the volunteering so worth it."
During Kaitlyn's wish granting, she was bald because of the chemotherapy she was going through. After several reschedulings, due to her level of sickness, her wish was finally granted to go on a $5,000 shopping spree.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses