Red Wolf Radio launches
Students can now take the spirit of the Red Wolves wherever they go, whenever they want. Red Wolf Radio went live on Jan. 27 and has hit the ground running, featuring A-State students as on-air talent.
Red Wolf Radio (RWR) is a student run online radio station where students get hands-on experience with on-air live broadcasting.
“It is a blessing to have this station, especially where we are giving other people opportunities,” said Japhanie Gray, a junior multimedia journalism and broadcast major of Osceola.
Larz Robert, an instructor for the department of multimedia journalism and the faculty advisor of RWR, has been building this program from its beginning. He said it is a great feeling seeing his project launch with such success and receiving calls from all over the nation praising this new venture.
Roberts said internet radio is the future of media. He added that students have wanted their own station for a long time. Analog radio signals can only broadcast so far before cutting out and eventually fading completely. With new technology, students can take Red Wolf Radio anywhere they can get access to the internet.
Not only is the station student operated, but it is based on student interest.
“Our main point here is to highlight the things on campus. This is the people’s chance to get involved,” said Gray, who is also the programs director and morning show co-host.
When students listen to Red Wolf Radio, they hear a variety of today’s hits, mixed with rock and roll, hip hop and R&B classics. Future programs will include “Throw Back Thursdays,” with music from the ‘80s and ‘90s, and more religious choices on Sundays.
The station will broadcast their online talent from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and will soon expand live broadcasts to 24 hours a day, Roberts said.
“This is a milestone for our college,” said Lillie Fears, professor in the multimedia journalism program.
“Students have been waiting for this opportunity for years.”
Organizational meetings have been forming since last year. The missing components to this project included gathering equipment, finding space and collecting students to dedicate themselves to the station. With help from the Department of Media, Roberts and his team were able to make the station a reality.
Opportunities are not limited to students majoring in broadcasting. Even students without broadcasting experience can be trained to broadcast on the station. Brad Rawlins, dean of media and communication, said it is great to have a station run by the students for the students.
The station is constantly looking to recruit new members to participate in the program. Students who have a high work ethic and want to get involved can contact Larz Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Red Wolf Radio station at email@example.com. Red Wolf Radio will provide any training and preparations for students looking to take part.
Students can listen in on the radio broadcasts by going to RedWolfRadio.org or by downloading the new SmartCampus app for iPhone.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge