Red Wolf Radio launches
Students can now take the spirit of the Red Wolves wherever they go, whenever they want. Red Wolf Radio went live on Jan. 27 and has hit the ground running, featuring A-State students as on-air talent.
Red Wolf Radio (RWR) is a student run online radio station where students get hands-on experience with on-air live broadcasting.
“It is a blessing to have this station, especially where we are giving other people opportunities,” said Japhanie Gray, a junior multimedia journalism and broadcast major of Osceola.
Larz Robert, an instructor for the department of multimedia journalism and the faculty advisor of RWR, has been building this program from its beginning. He said it is a great feeling seeing his project launch with such success and receiving calls from all over the nation praising this new venture.
Roberts said internet radio is the future of media. He added that students have wanted their own station for a long time. Analog radio signals can only broadcast so far before cutting out and eventually fading completely. With new technology, students can take Red Wolf Radio anywhere they can get access to the internet.
Not only is the station student operated, but it is based on student interest.
“Our main point here is to highlight the things on campus. This is the people’s chance to get involved,” said Gray, who is also the programs director and morning show co-host.
When students listen to Red Wolf Radio, they hear a variety of today’s hits, mixed with rock and roll, hip hop and R&B classics. Future programs will include “Throw Back Thursdays,” with music from the ‘80s and ‘90s, and more religious choices on Sundays.
The station will broadcast their online talent from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and will soon expand live broadcasts to 24 hours a day, Roberts said.
“This is a milestone for our college,” said Lillie Fears, professor in the multimedia journalism program.
“Students have been waiting for this opportunity for years.”
Organizational meetings have been forming since last year. The missing components to this project included gathering equipment, finding space and collecting students to dedicate themselves to the station. With help from the Department of Media, Roberts and his team were able to make the station a reality.
Opportunities are not limited to students majoring in broadcasting. Even students without broadcasting experience can be trained to broadcast on the station. Brad Rawlins, dean of media and communication, said it is great to have a station run by the students for the students.
The station is constantly looking to recruit new members to participate in the program. Students who have a high work ethic and want to get involved can contact Larz Roberts at email@example.com or the Red Wolf Radio station at firstname.lastname@example.org. Red Wolf Radio will provide any training and preparations for students looking to take part.
Students can listen in on the radio broadcasts by going to RedWolfRadio.org or by downloading the new SmartCampus app for iPhone.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”