ROTC offers Zombie Blast
The ASU ROTC Red Wolf Battalion is hosting a Halloween-themed fundraiser, the Zombie Blast, in which ASU students, faculty and staff can shoot 40 rounds of zombie targets.
Throughout the month of October, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., the ASU Red Wolf Battalion is opening its NCAA sanctioned shooting range at the Military Science Building for an admission cost of $5 cash. Targets, .22 pistols and 40 rounds of ammunition per game will be provided.
We intentionally kept the cost low to entice more people to participate, Lt. Col. Lee Clark said.
Roughly $3.50 of the $5 fee pays for the cost of ammunition, targets and weapons maintenance. The other $1.50 goes into the ASU ROTC foundation fund, which is used for ROTC extracurricular activities and to pay for non-appropriated items such as maintaining the ASU ROTC Hall of Heroes.
No prior shooting experience or permit is required, however participants must be 16 years or older and will have to sign a liability form before shooting. ASU ROTC cadre will teach and assist novice participants in safe handling, loading and shooting a firearm. ROTC personnel will also be present on the firing range to enforce and ensure a safe environment for shooting the zombie targets.
Caitlin Marshall, a senior political science major of Cabot and fourth-year cadet, said, The ASU ROTC Red Wolf Battalion decided to integrate Halloween into our fundraising towards our military science programs. We thought that it would be a fun and innovative way for students, faculty and staff to enjoy the Halloween season shooting zombie targets rather than the traditional hay rides and haunted houses.
For the $5 admission fee, participants will receive four, 10-round magazines. They will be allowed 30 seconds for each of the first two 10-shot iterations, and will then get 10 seconds for each of the last two 10-shot groups. Participants will also be allowed to keep their photo quality zombie target.
ROTC routinely uses the range for Rifle Team practice as well as educating cadets in rifle and pistol marksmanship
Clark, is thankful for the fundraising opportunity. The ASU administration is enormously supportive of the ROTC program and were genuinely appreciative theyve entrusted us to open this wonderful university facility to the ASU community during October, he said.
Admission is restricted to ASU students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as the local High School JROTC cadets.
The undead targets are located on-campus at the Sislers Firing Range of the ASU ROTC Military Science building at 1921 Aggie Road.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!