SGA puts new bikes to use after spring approval
The Student Government Association recently spent $5,000 on bicycles for ASU students to rent through the Red Wolf Center.
Biking is a green method of transportation as well as a way to get fit, said Hunter Petrus, student government association president.
The idea for bicycles on campus originally belonged to Senator Zach Brogden in 2010. Petrus remodeled the idea and got it off the ground.
The bikes are completely sponsored by SGA, with no additional charges to students.
There are a total of eight bicycles and its first come, first serve for a six-hour time period, said Kelly Tuttle, coordinator of wellness programs.
The new bikes have created excitement among the staff in the Red Wolf Center, as well as students.
In order to rent a bike, students will need to provide basic information, such as student identification number, and contact number. If a bike is available the student can leave the center with one.
The bikes are a great experience for students who dont want to walk to each class, such as myself, said Justin Whitfield, a junior exercise science major of Dyersburg, Tenn. I also enjoy the extra exercise I get in throughout the day, added Whitfield.
This is a great way to limit students from using their cars.
Freshman Jackeli Bryant, and undecided major of Lonoke, used the bike to do a cardio workout around campus.
I think its pretty cool that A-State has these bikes available to rent, because it keeps me from having to buy my own bike, Bryant said.
More of these bikes are expected in the future, but it will depend on the students and how well they take care of this easy transportation around campus, Tuttle said.
All in all, it is an innovation the SGA president is excited about and extremely proud of.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”