SGA puts new bikes to use after spring approval
The Student Government Association recently spent $5,000 on bicycles for ASU students to rent through the Red Wolf Center.
Biking is a green method of transportation as well as a way to get fit, said Hunter Petrus, student government association president.
The idea for bicycles on campus originally belonged to Senator Zach Brogden in 2010. Petrus remodeled the idea and got it off the ground.
The bikes are completely sponsored by SGA, with no additional charges to students.
There are a total of eight bicycles and its first come, first serve for a six-hour time period, said Kelly Tuttle, coordinator of wellness programs.
The new bikes have created excitement among the staff in the Red Wolf Center, as well as students.
In order to rent a bike, students will need to provide basic information, such as student identification number, and contact number. If a bike is available the student can leave the center with one.
The bikes are a great experience for students who dont want to walk to each class, such as myself, said Justin Whitfield, a junior exercise science major of Dyersburg, Tenn. I also enjoy the extra exercise I get in throughout the day, added Whitfield.
This is a great way to limit students from using their cars.
Freshman Jackeli Bryant, and undecided major of Lonoke, used the bike to do a cardio workout around campus.
I think its pretty cool that A-State has these bikes available to rent, because it keeps me from having to buy my own bike, Bryant said.
More of these bikes are expected in the future, but it will depend on the students and how well they take care of this easy transportation around campus, Tuttle said.
All in all, it is an innovation the SGA president is excited about and extremely proud of.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership