SGA votes for campus digital welcome sign
The Student Government Association passed a resolution Tuesday evening to install a digital welcome sign at the entrance to campus.
According to resolution SR-02, the installation of the digital sign will exemplify A-State with new technology that will be used for advertising events and welcoming guests to ASU.
“Most other universities that I have visited have a sign like this. It’s great to kind of let the community know what’s going on,” said Senator Alex Dozier.
Senator Myka Robertson asked who would be contacted for announcements within the sign.
SGA President D’Andre Anderson said either Facilities Management or the ASU communications department would manage news and information updates on the sign.
The SGA Action Fund Commissioner, Fallon Maulding, asked where the digital welcome sign would be located on campus.
The digital sign would be placed on the corner of Aggie Road and Red Wolf Boulevard, said SGA Secretary Colea Blann in an email interview.
“As far as the cost, that is being determined through multiple departments so that information has not officially been disclosed,” Blann said. “However, facilities management is on board for the idea.”
The resolution passed with a unanimous vote.
Corporal Traci Simpson attended the meeting to offer an apology for the lack of University Police Department representation at SGA meetings.
“The past couple of years we’ve had an officer usually that’s been made to attend all y’alls meetings. Sometimes I have something to say, sometimes I don’t,” Simpson said. “Basically, we just want to attend the meetings to let you know that we’re here to work with you, to work with the students, faculty and staff and I apologize for that and I feel like we kind of let you all down.”
Simpson explained her duties have grown greatly in the department but it caused her to send another officer to attend the meetings.
Simpson found out about two weeks ago that the officer hadn’t been attending and had moved on to another job.
“I mainly want to apologize to all of you all tonight that he’s not been coming here and I feel like I’ve let you all down,” Simpson said, “and to promise you that will be attending the rest of the meetings and if not, I’m sure I will get an officer up here next time if I have to miss for any reason. There will be one to represent our department to here you all’s needs, complaints, wants; things that we can do to help you all.”
The next SGA meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 25 on the eighth floor of the Dean B. Ellis Library.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR