Social media relieves stress
It seems almost every college student uses social media of some form, and studies are showing it is something they struggle to live without. Is this struggle relevant to students at ASU?
A recent study by Anxiety UK found participants became troubled when they didnt have access to their social media outlets. According to www.anxietyuk.org.uk, those who were a part of the study found the only way to stay away from social media was to turn off the device they accessed it from; it wasnt enough to simply ignore it.
ASU students can frequently be seen walking to class with their heads buried into their phones as they text, tweet, and post on Facebook. Sheneathia Burton, a sophomore psychology major of Memphis, believes she is addicted to social media.
All day Ill be on Tumblr, she said.
Burton mainly uses Tumblr and Twitter and estimates she spends about eight hours a day using the sites.
She said she uses social media as an outlet for her feelings and becomes angry when she doesnt have access to it.
The longest Burton has been without using a form of social media is two days.
Her usage does interfere with school, however.
When class is boring I get on Twitter or tumble (post) about dumb people, she said.
However, using Twitter and Tumblr have helped Burton. She said it helps her deal with stress because she can get things off her mind.
Will Blair, a junior pre-med major of Pine Bluff, uses Twitter but doesnt think it has affected him that much.
I can go without it, he said.
He added that when he was younger he would go camping often and therefore didnt have access to the Internet.
I adapted to it, putting the phone and Internet away, he continued.
Blair admits he uses Twitter often in the summer, especially when he has nothing else to do.
Like many college students he also spends time in class on social media.
I took a few pictures of people sleeping, he said.
Blair also said he normally only browses Twitter when he knows he isnt missing any information.
For Hayley Lewis, a junior psychology major of Jonesboro, Facebook is a way to keep up with friends that live in different time zones.
Im a Navy brat, Lewis, who has lived in 15 different cities, said.
She said while she checks Facebook every day, it hasnt become a problem for her.
Its going to be there when I get back, she said.
Lewis added she often becomes too addicted to social media, but then it gets boring. She also doesnt use it enough to where it interferes with class time.
Another study conducted by the University of Marylands International Center for Media and the Public Affairs followed college students across five continents and found after 24 hours without social media, they felt irritable, tense, restless and anxious.
According to www.kait8.com, the study consisted of 1,000 college students in countries that included China, Argentina, Mexico, the U.K., and the U.S.
During the study several students were unable to go the entire 24 hours without using social media.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor