Social media relieves stress
It seems almost every college student uses social media of some form, and studies are showing it is something they struggle to live without. Is this struggle relevant to students at ASU?
A recent study by Anxiety UK found participants became troubled when they didnt have access to their social media outlets. According to www.anxietyuk.org.uk, those who were a part of the study found the only way to stay away from social media was to turn off the device they accessed it from; it wasnt enough to simply ignore it.
ASU students can frequently be seen walking to class with their heads buried into their phones as they text, tweet, and post on Facebook. Sheneathia Burton, a sophomore psychology major of Memphis, believes she is addicted to social media.
All day Ill be on Tumblr, she said.
Burton mainly uses Tumblr and Twitter and estimates she spends about eight hours a day using the sites.
She said she uses social media as an outlet for her feelings and becomes angry when she doesnt have access to it.
The longest Burton has been without using a form of social media is two days.
Her usage does interfere with school, however.
When class is boring I get on Twitter or tumble (post) about dumb people, she said.
However, using Twitter and Tumblr have helped Burton. She said it helps her deal with stress because she can get things off her mind.
Will Blair, a junior pre-med major of Pine Bluff, uses Twitter but doesnt think it has affected him that much.
I can go without it, he said.
He added that when he was younger he would go camping often and therefore didnt have access to the Internet.
I adapted to it, putting the phone and Internet away, he continued.
Blair admits he uses Twitter often in the summer, especially when he has nothing else to do.
Like many college students he also spends time in class on social media.
I took a few pictures of people sleeping, he said.
Blair also said he normally only browses Twitter when he knows he isnt missing any information.
For Hayley Lewis, a junior psychology major of Jonesboro, Facebook is a way to keep up with friends that live in different time zones.
Im a Navy brat, Lewis, who has lived in 15 different cities, said.
She said while she checks Facebook every day, it hasnt become a problem for her.
Its going to be there when I get back, she said.
Lewis added she often becomes too addicted to social media, but then it gets boring. She also doesnt use it enough to where it interferes with class time.
Another study conducted by the University of Marylands International Center for Media and the Public Affairs followed college students across five continents and found after 24 hours without social media, they felt irritable, tense, restless and anxious.
According to www.kait8.com, the study consisted of 1,000 college students in countries that included China, Argentina, Mexico, the U.K., and the U.S.
During the study several students were unable to go the entire 24 hours without using social media.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR