Students shine at ADDYs
The 4th annual Northeast Arkansas American Advertising Federation (ADDY) awards were held Saturday at the Jonesboro country club.
The ADDY awards are a unique advertising competition that include local, regional and national judging for professional and student designers.
This years' NEA regional competition saw a spectacular 70 percent rise in entries.
After being judged and graded by a panel of professionals, the entries are given a score and awarded accordingly.
The ranking of the awards in decent order are: Gold, silver then bronze.
ASU's marketing and communication department tallied up seven awards, three silver and four bronze.
The marketing department won in the categories of sales promotion, collateral material, television and advertising for the arts.
Kim Vickrey, associate professor of graphic design at ASU, was awarded a gold and a silver award, while assistant professor of graphic design Nicole Arnell was awarded a bronze award.
Their students, 22 of them, grabbed 34 ADDY awards this year.
Whitney Stephenson, a senior graphic design major of Germantown, Tenn. was one of many ASU students to win big.
"It's a really nice accomplishment to win something that has been judged by professionals in the design field." Stephenson said.
She also said the quality of work presented by ASU students reflect on the graphic design teachers who teach these students and have pushed their students to enter and be recognized for their talents.
"We are eager and hungry to design. You can see the eagerness in the students work."
Stephenson was awarded 3 gold, a silver and a bronze ADDY award this year.
She is also the president of the of the American Institute of Graphic Art (AIGA) organization on campus.
Brittany Foster, a sophomore graphic design major of Jonesboro, attended the awards for the first time this year and won two awards, a silver and a bronze.
Foster said her graphic design instructor Vickrey encouraged her to enter, and she is glad that she did.
She also said winning such a prestigious award will look great on anybody's resume.
The student best of show ADDY went to Amanda Trudeau, a senior graphic design major of Pascagoula, Miss.
Trudeau's entry "Pirate Tea" was made for the graphic design package design class she took during the summer.
Gold entry winners are automatically entered in the national competition to compete with other gold winning entries.
The student winners were: Shanshan Ai, Muriel Aston, Janie Best, Megan Canoy, Chris Danner, Jared DeGood, Brittany Foster, Juan Roman, Kimberly Head, Chris Hill, Ginger Hill, Daniel Holt, Kali James, Cody Mothershed, Deric Phan, Joshua Phillips, Rachel Purtee, Abdullah Raslan, Travis Sharp, Whitney Stephenson, Amanda Trudeau and Janie Walter.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge