UPD says students should be aware
As the campus has undergone numerous changes in such a short time, UPD is concerned with the safety of those on campus and is urging students to be more aware of their actions, mostly on roads.
According to Officer Ron Smith, a big concern is the use of crosswalks.
We have very good crosswalks, Smith said. What we see is people crossing where there isnt a crosswalk. When you do that, youre not only jaywalking, but you dont have the right away anymore.
Smith said he also sees students misusing the crosswalks with bicycles.
People ride their bicycles through the crosswalks and think they have the right away, but thats not the case, Smith said. Unless you are walking your bike across the crosswalk, you are still considered a vehicle.
Smith said one area that he sees a lot of problems is on the new Marion Berry Parkway.
Ive seen a lot of students trying to park at the armory and then cross the four lanes of traffic, Smith said. Theyre crossing at the curve where its dangerous, especially in the late afternoon or at night.
When it comes to vehicles however, he said he has seen many dangerous situations on Aggie, near the Stadium intersection.
According to Smith, drivers follow each other too closely, which results in accidents.
On the bright side, Smith said that UPD has seen a decrease in speeding tickets since the Marion Berry Parkways speed limit was changed from 20 mph to 30 mph.
The main thing that Smith said he wants everyone to do is be safe.
This is a safe place to be, Smith said. Its their safety, we just need their help and cooperation. They are the determining factors.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists