Volunteer ASU makes stAtement
Volunteer ASU has been Making a StAtement all over campus, the community and in various places throughout the state and country.
Its mission statement is, To provide ASU with a place to serve, learn and make a statement by partnering with local non-profits and promoting social justice.
Jodie Cherry, coordinator of student affairs, said it is important for students to get involved with Volunteer ASU to prepare them for the future.
Students have to do what they can to set themselves apart in order to get a job in the future, Cherry said. Volunteering gives you a lot of skills youll need once you do enter the work force, you know, working with diverse groups of people and working under conditions that might not always be directly in your comfort zone.
Cherry officially began the Volunteer ASU program in January of this year. A few volunteer opportunities were offered starting last November, and since that time there have been more than 500 volunteers.
I think just as a person youre more affected than the people youre even affecting because you have a greater awareness of the needs of other people, just being sensitive to whats happening in the world, Cherry said.
Volunteer ASU will be providing a variety of service opportunities throughout the month of September.
Students who are interested in serving with Volunteer ASU can email Jodie Cherry at email@example.com, or sign up in the Leadership Center on the second floor of the Student Union.
There will also be a service weekend trip to Joplin, Mo., on October 5-7. Limited spots are available, and applications are available in the Leadership Center.
Cherry said there is always somewhere to plug into activities. Weekly volunteers can get involved with Jonesboros food bank, Habitat for Humanity and Families Outreach.
Volunteer ASU will be focusing on raising awareness about homelessness in Jonesboro during the month of September. It will host The SleepOut for the Homeless Blanket Drive. The goal is to collect at least 75 gently used or new blankets. Donations can be dropped off at the Leadership Center. Everyone who donates will be entered in a chance to win an Office Maxx gift card.
Stephanie A. Overby, a junior biology and animal science major of Little Rock., serves on the Volunteer Council and has been coordinating events and participating in service projects all over campus and in Jonesboro.
Volunteering is one of the best things you can do, Overby said. It gives you the opportunity to work with others in the community.
Overby said volunteering with Volunteer ASU is beneficial to students because they learn to develop leadership skills, time management, work with organizations, conduct functions for non-profits, obtain a better view of the world, make friends, connect with the community and walk away happy and excited.
Overby said, Students need to realize that there are so many opportunities for them to volunteer. Theyre not limited because theyre in college. I just like helping other people.
I like seeing their faces when they receive a blessing. You will never see such pure joy.
Volunteer ASUs non-profit partners include:
More information about Volunteer ASU can be found on its website: http://www2.astate.edu/a/student-affairs/leadership-center/volunteer-service-opportunities/service-and-volunteer-opportunities.dot
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR