Hungry for better, healthier food options
Picture this scene: It’s 12 o’clock on a normal weekday. You just got out of your 11 a.m. class and want to grab a quick lunch.
You have the All Flex Meal Plan this semester so most of your meals are eaten in the Student Union food court.
You walk into the court and immediately face a mob of other hungry college students packing in, trying to get their own meals before their next class.
You survey your options: Chick-fil-A? Quick and delicious, but you’re watching your calories, so that’s a no.
Howl’s Grill or Godfather’s Pizza? Not unless you want to finish your meal feeling like Paula Deen’s armpits.
Lobos Rojos? Too gassy.
Jump Asian Express? Come on, we’re talking about food here.
It seems your only option is to grab a “fresh,” overpriced low-cal sandwich or wrap from the Sodexo Simply To Go selection, which is located at the back of Chick-fil-A, just past those fresh, crispy chunks of chicken meat.
It’s safe to say A-State lacks any sort of resemblance to a reasonably priced, healthy food option in the food court.
And for a majority of active, healthy college students enrolled here, that’s a problem.
Most of us probably have the same thought go through our head every day: “Okay, today I’m going to avoid the fatty, greasy foods and eat something healthy!”
But just one whiff of a smell that appeals to the fat person that lives inside and we’re right back to eating processed, blubbery garbage.
But is it really our fault when our food court fails to provide students with a healthy alternative?
According to a study conducted by the International Food Information Council Foundation, most college students fail to consume the recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
In fact, most college students aren’t even getting one serving of fruits and veggies a day.
Another study conducted by researchers at Oregon State University shows many college students routinely skip meals during a day, which could account for the lack of fruits and vegetables in their diet.
So what’s the solution to the food court conundrum? One word: smoothies.
Smoothies offer a great way to get all the nutrients, vitamins, fruits and veggies your body needs, all in one easy-to-drink bottle or cup. Not to mention the fact that (most of the time) they’re delicious.
ASU already offers a great smoothie option in the campus store, Coca-Cola’s Odwalla brand. One 12 oz. bottle of Odwalla’s Original Superfood juice blend includes at least two servings of fruit right there in one tiny bottle.
And if we’re looking at adding a healthy option to the food court, one idea pops into my head over and over again: a smoothie bar.
Smoothie places offer a variety of healthy smoothie options, including supercharged drinks filled with cancer fighting antioxidants and even great food selections like flatbreads, wraps and sandwiches.
I can almost promise that adding a smoothie bar to the food court would attract all kinds of students, both the healthy and the unhealthy.
And while we’re at it, why not move the Odwalla smoothies a little closer to the food court, perhaps by placing them in the same area as the Simply To Go items, Powerade and water?
Healthy living can’t be achieved unless the means to attain it are readily available and that won’t happen until A-State does something about this problem.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists