Our View: Making the most of the final stretch
Looking to the future is exciting this time of year. The thought of being free from finals and no longer pulling all-nighters to complete assignments leaves students in a rush to be done with school.
Many graduating students are struck with a strong case of senior-itis, complete with a level of apathy that rivals that of their high school days.
Even those coming back next semester can feel the urge to mentally check-out early.
The temptation to ignore assignments seems to grow as more and more chairs are left empty during classes.
At the same time, everyone is affected by the pressure to decide his or her future.
As classes fill and job applications pile up, it seems as if every student is in a rush to be done with the school year.
Some of us never mentally came back after spring break or the multiple snow days.
With all of the pressures of the final weeks of school added with the preparation of the weeks and months to come, it can be easy to ignore our obligations and wish we could skip to the easier parts of the year.
Yet in all of the stress of the final stretch, it is easy to overlook the opportunities right in front of us.
Academically and socially, this is possibly the most important time of our careers.
A student’s performance during the final weeks of school can be crucial to their final grade. It is important for students not to let the hard work of the semester be diminished from apathy in the final stretch. GPA’s, scholarships and potential job opportunities still hang in the balance.
Aside from the academic aspect of college, the connections we make now will help us in the future.
Spending time with friends is more than just an excuse to procrastinate on studying; it creates more memories to look back to over the summer, and in years to come.
Spending time with teachers is also a vital component of college that should not be overlooked. Whether it’s asking about homework or seeking advice for a career, instructors make great confidants even after graduation.
Additionally, both friends and instructors can lead us to potential job opportunities, but only if we’re willing to make the time to connect with others now.
This time of the year, the best way to prepare for the future is to focus on the requirements of the present.
While it may seem mundane to us now, making the most of the next few weeks reaps benefits that far outweigh the slight detriment to our sleep schedule.
“Our View” is written by the editorial staff. The opinions are not necessarily reflective of the student body, faculty or administration of ASU.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!