Sorting opinion from fact in news
Breaking News Alert: Hillary Rodham Clinton is not seeking the office of the United States. Yet.
While she has not officially announced any plan to run for the presidency, watching any cable news outlet will give you a completely different story.
CNN recently ran a story analyzing trouble states for the Clinton campaign.
Fox News, in return, has constantly rehashed Hillary’s role in the Benghazi Scandal while criticizing her voting record.
These stories would be common place if a presidential election were upcoming in November but the nearest election is not scheduled for nearly three years.
These speculations are not limited to the Democratic Party.
The media’s rumor mill has been running rampant with the presidential hopes of political players such as Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and many others.
Why has the media decided to make a circus of the 2016 election less than a year and a half after the previous election?
From the media’s standpoint, the current president is very dull. Consider what the media had to work with in the two previous administrations.
George W. Bush bolstered national morale in the beginning of his presidency by declaring a war on terror after 9/11. At the end of his presidency, the drawn out military conflict was easy to blame on the president.
Bill Clinton was also very easy to report on, with the impeachment he faced after the Lewinski scandal and being the first Democratic president after the Reagan Era.
Compared to the last two presidents in recent history, Obama’s tenure has been rather boring.
The current term has been particularly unproductive for the Obama administration.
Due to the fact he is ineligible to be reelected, Obama’s approval rating does not mean much. This is his opportunity to do practically anything he wants within the law, yet he still does not act.
Usually, the “lame duck” portion of a politician’s career is at the very end of his tenure, but Obama seems to be clocking out early.
Meanwhile, the media is desperately looking for any interesting story to run on the president. S
ince there is no major event happening in Obama’s career, the media is forced to look ahead to whomever is speculated to be the next president.
The American media is particularly bad about stretching the truth on many topics.
Since all news outlets are largely privatized because of the First Amendment, they must compete for viewers.
In order to seem appealing to a particular demographic, the news outlet will “spin” the stories to make them what the viewer wants to hear rather than what needs to be heard.
This is dangerous for a number of reasons.
If a viewer isn’t cautious, it is easy to confuse political opinion with factual reporting.
In addition, insignificant stories, like CNN’s analysis of Hillary’s approval ratings in Iowa, take precedence to major world events, like violence in Ukraine or unrest in Venezuela.
The freedom to criticize the government via the press granted in the First Amendment is a wonderful concept.
There comes a point, though, where media is so bogged down with political spin and irrelevance that it fails to do what news is supposed to do in the first place, educate the masses on current events.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”