ASU out in first round of NCAA Tourney
The Arkansas State bowling team was eliminated from the NCAA Bowling Tournament after three matches of bracket play on Friday.
The Red Wolves suffered a 4-1 loss to Fairleigh Dickinson in the opening round of bracket play, but battled back to defeat Central Missouri 4-3 in the next round. In the third round A-State forced a sixth game after rallying from a 3-0 deficit against Vanderbilt, but couldnt complete the comeback and lost 4-2 to the Commodores.
We just got behind and we got behind in every match we had today, ASU bowling head coach Justin Kostick said. We lost every first game in all of our matches and its tough to continue to comeback time after time. We gave it a really strong effort against Vanderbilt, but just came up short.
Against Central Missouri the Red Wolves went down 3-1, but rallied in games 5, 6 and 7 to stave off elimination.
In the fifth game Amanda Labossiere hit all three strikes in the tenth frame to give ASU a 223-213 victory.
In the sixth game, A-State faced elimination again heading into the tenth frame, but the Jennies failed to convert on a spare attempt, which gave ASU the 187-176 victory.
In the seventh game, the Red Wolves had the lane choice after winning game six and chose to flip lanes forcing both sides to make adjustments during the game.
The move paid off and the Red Wolves emerged with a 204-191 victory and took the match 4-3.
My coaching philosophy is to always flip the lanes, Kostick said. I feel like we make moves better than anybody in the country and we can adjust to lanes so we want the other team to make adjustments too.
In the match against Vanderbilt the Red Wolves fell behind early, and despite a late rally, could not overcome the deficit.
Vanderbilt jumped out in front with a 235-212 victory in the first game, and edged out a 226-219 win in game two. They then took the third game with a score of 212-194 to go up 3-0 in the match.
ASU regrouped and won game four 214-176 and then edged out a 199-193 victory in game five behind a strong game from Labossiere.
The sophomore hit two strikes in the tenth frame to clinch the win.
Labossiere was named to the NCAA All-Tournament bowling team for her performance.
Labossiere finished the tournament with a 206.1 average in Thursdays round of competition, which was sixth best overall.
She also filled the anchor position on Fridays baker round of the tournament as the Red Wolves went 1-2 before being eliminated.
The rally fell short in the sixth game, however, as ASU faltered and left an open frame that allowed Vanderbilt to pull away with a 203-189 victory.
We had a really good year, Kostick said. We were ranked No. 1 coming into this thing and I felt were the No. 1 team with the way we finished at all of our tournaments throughout the year. It was just one of those things where it is just really tough to lose.
ASU finished the year with a 90-38 record and the most wins in school history. It also marked the first time the team had three players selected to the NTCA All-America team.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists