ASU Rugbys A-Side defeats Razorbacks 58-0
Those that braved the freezing temperatures Saturday to watch the first game of the ASU Rugby Club's 2012 A-Side season were given a treat.
For the second straight year, Arkansas State's Rugby Club took down the University of Arkansas, this time in Jonesboro, and won 58-0, to grab the A-Side's season opening win.
"Our guys will be used to a wide variety of field conditions hopefully, that's maybe something we can get out of it," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
"Last week was a but of a swim meet, this was a little bit of an ice bowl for sure."
Eighth man Shaun Potgieter, an Exercise science major from Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape was the first to score for ASU on a try, giving the Red Wolves a 5-0 lead.
Flanker Paul Steyn Benade from Hermanus, South Africa put in the second score to go up 10 - 0, before Pat Sullivan made the extra point kick to make it 12-0.
Sullivan was 3 of 4 on extra points in the first half.
"I think Pat Sullivan had a really strong game. I wish he would have kicked a little bit more for territory, but he was running really hard all day long," said Huckaby.
ASU tallied up a 36-0 score at half time before going on to the final of 58-0.
Other scores for ASU came from David Caswell, Zac Mizell, Harry Higgins and Titomutero Chitanda.
Huckaby said his Red Wolves still have a lot to improve on despite the big win.
"[They] definitely showed some potential and hats off to a very much improved Arkansas team. That's about as much as I've seen a team improve from one year to the next," Huckaby observed. "They came out really scrappy. We'll go back to the drawing board on some things, tighten some stuff up for Texas A&M and Notre Dame."
Arkansas State will take on A&M at home Saturday at 1 p.m., while that same day, the B-Side team will visit Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership