ASU Rugbys A-Side defeats Razorbacks 58-0
Those that braved the freezing temperatures Saturday to watch the first game of the ASU Rugby Club's 2012 A-Side season were given a treat.
For the second straight year, Arkansas State's Rugby Club took down the University of Arkansas, this time in Jonesboro, and won 58-0, to grab the A-Side's season opening win.
"Our guys will be used to a wide variety of field conditions hopefully, that's maybe something we can get out of it," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
"Last week was a but of a swim meet, this was a little bit of an ice bowl for sure."
Eighth man Shaun Potgieter, an Exercise science major from Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape was the first to score for ASU on a try, giving the Red Wolves a 5-0 lead.
Flanker Paul Steyn Benade from Hermanus, South Africa put in the second score to go up 10 - 0, before Pat Sullivan made the extra point kick to make it 12-0.
Sullivan was 3 of 4 on extra points in the first half.
"I think Pat Sullivan had a really strong game. I wish he would have kicked a little bit more for territory, but he was running really hard all day long," said Huckaby.
ASU tallied up a 36-0 score at half time before going on to the final of 58-0.
Other scores for ASU came from David Caswell, Zac Mizell, Harry Higgins and Titomutero Chitanda.
Huckaby said his Red Wolves still have a lot to improve on despite the big win.
"[They] definitely showed some potential and hats off to a very much improved Arkansas team. That's about as much as I've seen a team improve from one year to the next," Huckaby observed. "They came out really scrappy. We'll go back to the drawing board on some things, tighten some stuff up for Texas A&M and Notre Dame."
Arkansas State will take on A&M at home Saturday at 1 p.m., while that same day, the B-Side team will visit Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!