ASU Rugbys A-Side defeats Razorbacks 58-0
Those that braved the freezing temperatures Saturday to watch the first game of the ASU Rugby Club's 2012 A-Side season were given a treat.
For the second straight year, Arkansas State's Rugby Club took down the University of Arkansas, this time in Jonesboro, and won 58-0, to grab the A-Side's season opening win.
"Our guys will be used to a wide variety of field conditions hopefully, that's maybe something we can get out of it," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
"Last week was a but of a swim meet, this was a little bit of an ice bowl for sure."
Eighth man Shaun Potgieter, an Exercise science major from Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape was the first to score for ASU on a try, giving the Red Wolves a 5-0 lead.
Flanker Paul Steyn Benade from Hermanus, South Africa put in the second score to go up 10 - 0, before Pat Sullivan made the extra point kick to make it 12-0.
Sullivan was 3 of 4 on extra points in the first half.
"I think Pat Sullivan had a really strong game. I wish he would have kicked a little bit more for territory, but he was running really hard all day long," said Huckaby.
ASU tallied up a 36-0 score at half time before going on to the final of 58-0.
Other scores for ASU came from David Caswell, Zac Mizell, Harry Higgins and Titomutero Chitanda.
Huckaby said his Red Wolves still have a lot to improve on despite the big win.
"[They] definitely showed some potential and hats off to a very much improved Arkansas team. That's about as much as I've seen a team improve from one year to the next," Huckaby observed. "They came out really scrappy. We'll go back to the drawing board on some things, tighten some stuff up for Texas A&M and Notre Dame."
Arkansas State will take on A&M at home Saturday at 1 p.m., while that same day, the B-Side team will visit Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”