ASU Rugbys A-Side defeats Razorbacks 58-0
Those that braved the freezing temperatures Saturday to watch the first game of the ASU Rugby Club's 2012 A-Side season were given a treat.
For the second straight year, Arkansas State's Rugby Club took down the University of Arkansas, this time in Jonesboro, and won 58-0, to grab the A-Side's season opening win.
"Our guys will be used to a wide variety of field conditions hopefully, that's maybe something we can get out of it," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
"Last week was a but of a swim meet, this was a little bit of an ice bowl for sure."
Eighth man Shaun Potgieter, an Exercise science major from Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape was the first to score for ASU on a try, giving the Red Wolves a 5-0 lead.
Flanker Paul Steyn Benade from Hermanus, South Africa put in the second score to go up 10 - 0, before Pat Sullivan made the extra point kick to make it 12-0.
Sullivan was 3 of 4 on extra points in the first half.
"I think Pat Sullivan had a really strong game. I wish he would have kicked a little bit more for territory, but he was running really hard all day long," said Huckaby.
ASU tallied up a 36-0 score at half time before going on to the final of 58-0.
Other scores for ASU came from David Caswell, Zac Mizell, Harry Higgins and Titomutero Chitanda.
Huckaby said his Red Wolves still have a lot to improve on despite the big win.
"[They] definitely showed some potential and hats off to a very much improved Arkansas team. That's about as much as I've seen a team improve from one year to the next," Huckaby observed. "They came out really scrappy. We'll go back to the drawing board on some things, tighten some stuff up for Texas A&M and Notre Dame."
Arkansas State will take on A&M at home Saturday at 1 p.m., while that same day, the B-Side team will visit Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor