ASU Rugbys A-Side defeats Razorbacks 58-0
Those that braved the freezing temperatures Saturday to watch the first game of the ASU Rugby Club's 2012 A-Side season were given a treat.
For the second straight year, Arkansas State's Rugby Club took down the University of Arkansas, this time in Jonesboro, and won 58-0, to grab the A-Side's season opening win.
"Our guys will be used to a wide variety of field conditions hopefully, that's maybe something we can get out of it," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
"Last week was a but of a swim meet, this was a little bit of an ice bowl for sure."
Eighth man Shaun Potgieter, an Exercise science major from Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape was the first to score for ASU on a try, giving the Red Wolves a 5-0 lead.
Flanker Paul Steyn Benade from Hermanus, South Africa put in the second score to go up 10 - 0, before Pat Sullivan made the extra point kick to make it 12-0.
Sullivan was 3 of 4 on extra points in the first half.
"I think Pat Sullivan had a really strong game. I wish he would have kicked a little bit more for territory, but he was running really hard all day long," said Huckaby.
ASU tallied up a 36-0 score at half time before going on to the final of 58-0.
Other scores for ASU came from David Caswell, Zac Mizell, Harry Higgins and Titomutero Chitanda.
Huckaby said his Red Wolves still have a lot to improve on despite the big win.
"[They] definitely showed some potential and hats off to a very much improved Arkansas team. That's about as much as I've seen a team improve from one year to the next," Huckaby observed. "They came out really scrappy. We'll go back to the drawing board on some things, tighten some stuff up for Texas A&M and Notre Dame."
Arkansas State will take on A&M at home Saturday at 1 p.m., while that same day, the B-Side team will visit Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Ga.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists