ASU Rugby sweeps weekend
Despite the cold and wind, the Arkansas State Rugby Club A-Side team took to the field in Jonesboro for the second time this season in a 71-20 victory over Texas A&M.
Wingman James Rilenour was the first to score for ASU on a try, which was followed by a successful conversion attempt from kicker David Caswell, putting ASU up 7-0.
The Red Wolves continued the onslaught in the first half, scoring 36 points while holding Texas A&M to just 3 points.
"The guys took care of the ball," said head coach Matt Huckaby. "When we don't make handling errors, we have a very potent offense and that showed today."
ASU came out strong in the second half, scoring an unanswered 28 points.
The Aggies started to get a rhythm near the end of the game, but it was too little too late.
Other Red Wolf scores came from Paul Benade, Sean Paterson, Patrick Sullivan, Juke Mizell, and Dale Bates.
While ASU was able to pull out a very solid win, they were hit by a series of penalties throughout the game.
"[We] need to get a little bit more disciplined. The guys are well disciplined overall, but we can still improve on that and be even better," Huckaby said.
The win puts the championship contending Rugby Club at 2-0 for the season.
"We did what we needed to do," said Huckaby. "There's a lot to improve on, but if we can stay healthy, we're going to make another run for it this year."
ASU's B-Side team was also in action Saturday, defeating Kennesaw State 75-8 in Kennesaw, Ga.
The B-Side will next play March 10 at Georgia Southern University.
Arkansas State's A-Side will take on Notre Dame at home next Saturday at 11 a.m. and will face Oklahoma the following weekend at home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses