ASU Rugby sweeps weekend
Despite the cold and wind, the Arkansas State Rugby Club A-Side team took to the field in Jonesboro for the second time this season in a 71-20 victory over Texas A&M.
Wingman James Rilenour was the first to score for ASU on a try, which was followed by a successful conversion attempt from kicker David Caswell, putting ASU up 7-0.
The Red Wolves continued the onslaught in the first half, scoring 36 points while holding Texas A&M to just 3 points.
"The guys took care of the ball," said head coach Matt Huckaby. "When we don't make handling errors, we have a very potent offense and that showed today."
ASU came out strong in the second half, scoring an unanswered 28 points.
The Aggies started to get a rhythm near the end of the game, but it was too little too late.
Other Red Wolf scores came from Paul Benade, Sean Paterson, Patrick Sullivan, Juke Mizell, and Dale Bates.
While ASU was able to pull out a very solid win, they were hit by a series of penalties throughout the game.
"[We] need to get a little bit more disciplined. The guys are well disciplined overall, but we can still improve on that and be even better," Huckaby said.
The win puts the championship contending Rugby Club at 2-0 for the season.
"We did what we needed to do," said Huckaby. "There's a lot to improve on, but if we can stay healthy, we're going to make another run for it this year."
ASU's B-Side team was also in action Saturday, defeating Kennesaw State 75-8 in Kennesaw, Ga.
The B-Side will next play March 10 at Georgia Southern University.
Arkansas State's A-Side will take on Notre Dame at home next Saturday at 11 a.m. and will face Oklahoma the following weekend at home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor