ASU Rugby sweeps weekend
Despite the cold and wind, the Arkansas State Rugby Club A-Side team took to the field in Jonesboro for the second time this season in a 71-20 victory over Texas A&M.
Wingman James Rilenour was the first to score for ASU on a try, which was followed by a successful conversion attempt from kicker David Caswell, putting ASU up 7-0.
The Red Wolves continued the onslaught in the first half, scoring 36 points while holding Texas A&M to just 3 points.
"The guys took care of the ball," said head coach Matt Huckaby. "When we don't make handling errors, we have a very potent offense and that showed today."
ASU came out strong in the second half, scoring an unanswered 28 points.
The Aggies started to get a rhythm near the end of the game, but it was too little too late.
Other Red Wolf scores came from Paul Benade, Sean Paterson, Patrick Sullivan, Juke Mizell, and Dale Bates.
While ASU was able to pull out a very solid win, they were hit by a series of penalties throughout the game.
"[We] need to get a little bit more disciplined. The guys are well disciplined overall, but we can still improve on that and be even better," Huckaby said.
The win puts the championship contending Rugby Club at 2-0 for the season.
"We did what we needed to do," said Huckaby. "There's a lot to improve on, but if we can stay healthy, we're going to make another run for it this year."
ASU's B-Side team was also in action Saturday, defeating Kennesaw State 75-8 in Kennesaw, Ga.
The B-Side will next play March 10 at Georgia Southern University.
Arkansas State's A-Side will take on Notre Dame at home next Saturday at 11 a.m. and will face Oklahoma the following weekend at home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists