ASU volleyball sweeps ULM
The Arkansas State volleyball team improved its Sun Belt Conference record to 2-2 with a 25-17, 26-24, 25-18 victory over Louisiana-Monroe at the HPESS Facility on Sunday.
The Red Wolves (11-8, 2-2 SBC) trailed just eight times over the three set match and relied on a steady attacking game to pick up the sweep over the Warhawks (4-9, 0-4).
Senior Jasmine Terry led the way with 16 kills, just two shy of her career-high. Fellow senior Kelsie Hodges added eight kills and a .429 attacking percentage.
Senior Allison Kearney finished with 37 assists and moved into sixth-place on the all-time career assist list at ASU. Junior libero added 13 digs, while Taylor Coughin chipped in with eight digs.
We recovered really well after the way we played on Friday night so I was happy about that, ASU volleyball coach David Rehr said. It is just a matter of us doing it again, especially with a quick turnaround and three matches this coming week.
ASU used a late run to help secure a first-set victory and take an early edge in the match.
Hodges and Terry used a 7-1 run to close at the set and give ASU a 25-17 victory. Terry finished the match with three straight kills, including a slam on set point.
ASU posted solid numbers in the second-set, but ULM matched the Red Wolves step-for-step.
ULM held a 21-19 lead late in the match, but a kill from Marie Hadar and attack error from the Warhawks evened the score at 21-21. After trading the next four points, Hodges connected on back-to-back kills to send ASU to a 26-24 victory.
The swing in momentum was too much for ULM to overcome and ASU cruised to a 25-18 victory on the third set.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses