Bears beat Red Wolves in 4-3 heartbreaker
A week after taking down their rival the Memphis Tigers and sweeping the weekend series at home against Louisiana-Monroe, the Arkansas State baseball team headed to Conway to take on the Bears of Central Arkansas.
It has been a good stretch for the Red Wolves, who won six straight games entering into the contest, and were the highest ranked team in the state of Arkansas.
Even with this excellent run of form, the Bears were not a team that would be overlooked.
Coming into the game at 21-15 overall, the Bears saw their fair share of Sun Belt action, defeating UALR at home earlier in the season.
The hero for the Red Wolves in this game was junior pitcher Chandler Hawkins, who struck out 10 over the course of the matchup.
He averaged at least one strikeout per inning which were matched by five more from the rest of the A-State pitching rotation.
The Red Wolves led by a score of 3-1 through seven innings, led by freshman infielder Joe Schrimpf who scored and drove in a run.
UCA did not go down quietly and managed to score two runs off freshman pitcher Tyler Zuber to tie the game at 3-3.
It was sophomore catcher Brandon Montalvo who finished off the comeback for the Bears in the bottom of the ninth, striking a drive to the right for a single that won the game.
Despite stellar pitching and a seven inning lead, the Red Wolves fell on the road 4-3.
Austin Baker, who has been an offensive powerhouse for the Red Wolves, went 2-4 with an RBI single, while freshman infielder Eric Wilcoxson also went 2-4 with a double.
Arkansas State returns to the road for a three-game Sun Belt Conference series at Georgia State this weekend. Friday night’s first pitch is set for 5 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!