Champion women's hoops routs Cajuns
The A-State Women’s Basketball team hosted University of Louisiana-Lafayette in the Convocation Center on Saturday as the first part of a double header with the Ragin’ Cajuns.
The women needed a win to solidify themselves as the regular season Sun Belt Conference champions, and to give them the first seed in the conference tournament.
Seniors Jane Morrill, Carlisha Wyatt, and Carlette Wyatt started the game along with junior guard Hanna Qedan and sophomore guard Aundrea Gamble.
The women began the game playing great defense, but were a little slow on the offensive end. Forward Morrill was one of those struggling to begin the game.
She attributed it to less than stellar shot selection, and a little bit of jitters during the senior game.
“I wasn’t sitting right with (the ball). They weren’t the best shot selections ever, so it was just bad choices and (the shots) didn’t do it,” Morrill said.
“I just had to settle down a little.”
Using their defense, they got out on the break and were able to get many easy buckets to help build up a 14 point lead.
The second half started much like the first half ended. The Lady Red Wolves built their lead up to 30 in fewer than 10 minutes of play.
Their offense had a great mix, with 42 of their 90 points in the paint and 30 points from three-point land.
They forced 12 turnovers and scored 15 points off of turnovers.
The women continued to extend their lead and ended the game with 90 points and only surrendered 49 to the Ragin’ Cajuns.
Gamble led the way for the Lady Red Wolves and scored 17 points on nine shots. She also added a career high 10 assists and was only two rebounds away from a triple double adding eight boards, and had five steals.
Morrill added 18 points of her own on 50 percent shooting from the field.
Forward Carlette Wyatt added five points and two assists on 66 percent shooting during her senior day game, and scored 13 points on six of eight shooting with five rebounds and an assist. Guard Hanna Qedan threw in 10 points of her own on 4-5 shooting and 2-2 from deep.
The Lady Red Wolves shot a red hot 59 percent from the field and connected on 36 of their 61 shots, and they shot 58.8 percent from three going 10 of 17.
They held the Ragin’ Cajuns to 26.9 percent shooting and 21.7 percent from the three point line.
Cajuns’ freshman guard Jaylyn Gordon provided most of the offense for ULL and scored 25 of their 49 total points. She was the only player that scored more than six for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
Head Coach Brian Boyer was very pleased with the women’s performance not only this game, but the entire season.
“The fact that we have led it from game one all the way through game 18 is not easy to do, and this team deserves a lot of credit for being able to do it,” Boyer said.
Going forward, the women are the number one seed in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, which will be held in New Orleans, La.
They also have at least secured a bid to the WNIT if not going to the NCAA Tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Brian Dooley named Women’s Head Soccer Coach
- Police: 2 men charged in rape allegation investigation
- Red Wolves lose a close one, but respond with a blowout win over Texas State
- A-State’s track team sets records at the season opener in Kentucky
- Our View: Personal security as valuable as electronic security
- A-State men’s basketball snaps losing skid with two wins
- Red Wolves get run over in GoDaddy Bowl
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World