Collapsed bleacher leaves six injured
Saturday during the ASU-Memphis home opener, the University Police Department responded to an accident that left at least six spectators injured after a bleacher had broken loose from its support.
UPD officer Keith Gilliam reported that the aluminum bleacher located in the student section on the east side of the stadium had broken loose from the concrete on the entire twelfth row.
Maria Biancmano, an ASU alumna, was sitting on the bleacher when it collapsed.
"I dont blame the school, ASU has always done an excellent job with the up-keep of the campus. You cant prepare yourself for something like that and after years of students getting rowdy, jumping and standing on the bleachers I expect the administration to prepare for contingencies like that," Biancmano said.
Biancmano attended the game with her roommate, Jessica Bailey who had fallen backwards striking her head.
"At first things were chaotic, with everyone trying to help Jessica up, but a senior nursing student had rushed up the bleachers to help," Biancmano said.
Biancmano expressed a great deal of appreciation for the student knowing exactly what to do and keeping Bailey calm.
"I didnt even know her name but have full respect for the nursing program at ASU after Saturday. There was no hesitation and had she not have been there, Jessicas injuries could have been worse," Biancmano said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”