Collapsed bleacher leaves six injured
Saturday during the ASU-Memphis home opener, the University Police Department responded to an accident that left at least six spectators injured after a bleacher had broken loose from its support.
UPD officer Keith Gilliam reported that the aluminum bleacher located in the student section on the east side of the stadium had broken loose from the concrete on the entire twelfth row.
Maria Biancmano, an ASU alumna, was sitting on the bleacher when it collapsed.
"I dont blame the school, ASU has always done an excellent job with the up-keep of the campus. You cant prepare yourself for something like that and after years of students getting rowdy, jumping and standing on the bleachers I expect the administration to prepare for contingencies like that," Biancmano said.
Biancmano attended the game with her roommate, Jessica Bailey who had fallen backwards striking her head.
"At first things were chaotic, with everyone trying to help Jessica up, but a senior nursing student had rushed up the bleachers to help," Biancmano said.
Biancmano expressed a great deal of appreciation for the student knowing exactly what to do and keeping Bailey calm.
"I didnt even know her name but have full respect for the nursing program at ASU after Saturday. There was no hesitation and had she not have been there, Jessicas injuries could have been worse," Biancmano said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor