Conference play begins
When most of ASU fans were focused on the football game against Nebraska, the ASU Volleyball team defeated No. 21 ranked Northern Iowa and Bradley University in the CEFCU Classic Saturday.
Northern Iowa is a team that is getting votes in the top-25 poll and Bradley is a very talented team and it is good to get two big wins, before heading into conference, head coach David Rehr said.
ASUs preseason line up was filled with difficult competition that would give the foundation for how the Red Wolves would need to prepare once conference matches started.
Beating UNI showed us that we can compete with top level teams. We can go into a gym that isnt our own and win. It was a huge win for us and confirmed that we are contenders for conference champions, said senior outside hitter Taylor Coughlin of Bloomington, Ill.
ASU finished the 2011 season with a 12-4 record in conference, earning the team a third straight Sun Belt Conference Western Division crown and the first outright division win since 1998.
With the two wins from the CEFCU classic the momentum is high. The Red Wolves will travel to open conference against Florida Atlantic Friday, Sept. 21 and then travel to Florida International Sunday, Sept. 23.
Both Florida teams always provide good competition, for us we really just focus on our side of the net. We know if we execute the best of our abilities we will come out on top, Coughlin said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
RECENT ASU HERALD CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest