Howl takes top 10 finish
As he buttoned up his shiny, silver vest, A-State’s Howl took the floor for his third year in a row at the Universal Cheer Association Mascots Competition in Orlando, Fla. on Jan. 18.
Just like years before, Howl competed against schools like Auburn, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
What made him so special is that he not only represented A-State, but the Sun Belt Conference as a whole.
In order to even compete in the national competition Howl had to submit a video showing off his unique experiences around campus and his crowd involvement at his university.
Only 10 of the 23 mascots were selected to compete in Orlando.
The main competition in Florida is a skit and each mascot is allowed to pick any theme they want for the competition.
“Howl’s theme this year was Howlywood,” spirit squad coordinator Paige Pauley said.
“Within the skit we had a lot of different stuff from Beverly Hills, the Kodak Theatre, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and at the end Howl won the Oscar. We really had a lot of fun with the Howlywood theme and received a lot of compliments on our music. ”
Howl’s skit received ninth place out of 23 overall and he earned third place in Fan Favorite.
“They added a social media mix to the competition this year,” Pauley said. “Fans had to send in their votes via Twitter, and that was really cool to see all of their support. Auburn’s “Aubie” and Minnesota’s “Goldie” won first and second. As a program, knowing that we can compete with those larger schools is really motivating.”
Howl wasn’t the only one traveling to Orlando this year.
The Red Wolves Dancers took their talents to nationals for the first time since the late ‘80s, early ‘90s era.
“Unfortunately, they didn’t make it to finals, but it’s a huge learning experience,” Pauley said.
“We have great leadership. It was just our first time getting our feet wet. We’ve seen our competition and know that we need more women out there on the floor. Most successful teams have at least 16 girls, so we’re definitely going to increase for next year.”
Pauley also explained that being recognized not just as the A-State team, but as a university was a great surprise.
“A-State’s motto is Red Wolves Rising. That’s a serious statement,” Pauley said.
“So many people that work with Varsity among other schools from the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 kept coming up to us saying ‘Y’all have something going on up there.’ It’s exciting. It’s a huge honor to know that people recognize that.”
Next year, Howl, cheer and dance will be competing in the 2015 UCA/UDA Nationals.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!