Howl takes top 10 finish
As he buttoned up his shiny, silver vest, A-State’s Howl took the floor for his third year in a row at the Universal Cheer Association Mascots Competition in Orlando, Fla. on Jan. 18.
Just like years before, Howl competed against schools like Auburn, Oklahoma and Tennessee.
What made him so special is that he not only represented A-State, but the Sun Belt Conference as a whole.
In order to even compete in the national competition Howl had to submit a video showing off his unique experiences around campus and his crowd involvement at his university.
Only 10 of the 23 mascots were selected to compete in Orlando.
The main competition in Florida is a skit and each mascot is allowed to pick any theme they want for the competition.
“Howl’s theme this year was Howlywood,” spirit squad coordinator Paige Pauley said.
“Within the skit we had a lot of different stuff from Beverly Hills, the Kodak Theatre, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and at the end Howl won the Oscar. We really had a lot of fun with the Howlywood theme and received a lot of compliments on our music. ”
Howl’s skit received ninth place out of 23 overall and he earned third place in Fan Favorite.
“They added a social media mix to the competition this year,” Pauley said. “Fans had to send in their votes via Twitter, and that was really cool to see all of their support. Auburn’s “Aubie” and Minnesota’s “Goldie” won first and second. As a program, knowing that we can compete with those larger schools is really motivating.”
Howl wasn’t the only one traveling to Orlando this year.
The Red Wolves Dancers took their talents to nationals for the first time since the late ‘80s, early ‘90s era.
“Unfortunately, they didn’t make it to finals, but it’s a huge learning experience,” Pauley said.
“We have great leadership. It was just our first time getting our feet wet. We’ve seen our competition and know that we need more women out there on the floor. Most successful teams have at least 16 girls, so we’re definitely going to increase for next year.”
Pauley also explained that being recognized not just as the A-State team, but as a university was a great surprise.
“A-State’s motto is Red Wolves Rising. That’s a serious statement,” Pauley said.
“So many people that work with Varsity among other schools from the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12 kept coming up to us saying ‘Y’all have something going on up there.’ It’s exciting. It’s a huge honor to know that people recognize that.”
Next year, Howl, cheer and dance will be competing in the 2015 UCA/UDA Nationals.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists