Oliver shatters ASU heptathlon record
The Red Wolf Indoor track and field team participated in the ASU Invitational this weekend at the Convocation Center.
Sophomore William Oliver broke the school record for the heptathlon with a score of 5423.
The heptathlon consists of seven separate events: the pole vault, the 55-meter dash, 55-meter hurdle, long jump,1,000 meter run, shot put and the half jump.
The old record of 5,193 was set in 2007 by current ASU assistant coach Matt Vining.
"I feel great about my performance, it's very seldom that a multieventer can set a personal best in all seven of the heptathlonevent," Oliver said.
"Now I'm ready to get back to work so I can improve even more, because although I'm pleased with my performance, I'm not satisfied. I want to be the best."
Oliver won four of the seven events in route to claiming the new record.
"What Will did was simply amazing," ASU track and field coach Jim Patchell said.
While Patchell was proud of Oliver, he was equally impressed with the performance of his team as a whole.
"We had some bright spots," Patchell said. "Overall, I'm satisfied."
Junior Ethan Turpen placed second in the heptathlon and etched his name in the school record book with a score of 5,180, the third best score in ASU Indoor track and field history.
Solomon Williams finished first in the men's 55-meter hurdles with a time of 7.57 and leaped to second in the men's triple jump with a 14.69 meter jump.
Sharika Nelvis finished first in the Women's 55- Meter hurtles with a time of 7.81 and placed second in the Women's 55-Meter Dash with a time of 7.00.
Stephanie Foreman soared in the women's pole vault to a second place with a height of 4.05 meters.
In the men's weight throw, Richard Chavez took first place with a throw of 17.55 meters while ASU team mate, Chris Nicasio, took second (16.91).
Julia Agawu took first place in the women's weight throw with a whopping 17.88 meters.
Lakeitha Minter leaped into first place in the women's high jump with a height of 1.64 meters.
Kristina Aubert, Kelsey Bean, Samantha Salinas, and Chelsea Weaver clenched first place for ASU in the women's distance medley with a time of 12:88.88.
Kristina Aubert clenched first place in the women's mile run in 5:09.37, while team mate, Rexi Parcells, finished third (5:19.13).
Samantha Salinas finished the women's 5,000 -meter run in 17:46.80, placing second and was followed by Weaver, who placed third (18.16.73).
ASU hits the track next weekend in Champaign, Ill. for the Illinois Blue and Gold Invite at the University of Illinois.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!