Pooyie! Red Wolves go to Cajun Country
The Arkansas State Red Wolves football team journeys to Cajun Country Tuesday for a nationally-televised conference showdown against the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns.
The two extra days off are important for a banged-up ASU squad, giving players time to recover from nagging injuries and coaches the opportunity to analyze game film, said head coach Gus Malzahn.
ULL, currently ranked second in the Sun Belt, possesses the leagues third-best rushing defense, providing a stiff challenge for the Red Wolves top-ranked ground attack. Malzahn emphasized the importance of running the ball against a big and athletic defensive front.
The coaching staff is also concerned about sophomore quarterback Terrance Broadway, who split time with senior Blaine Gautier until the latter suffered a broken throwing hand. Broadway has tossed five touchdowns this season and ran for four over the past three games.
Im very impressed with him. He is very athletic, and it looks like he throws the ball pretty decent too, said Malzahn. He is a very good quarterback.
He is pretty involved. They have a great group of running backs and receivers, but I can tell that hes able to make plays and the team feeds off his energy, said redshirt sophomore safety Sterling Young.
The Ragin Cajuns only losses have come from Oklahoma State and North Texas. Their early success has made Tuesdays game crucial for the Red Wolves, whose opportunity at a conference title was bolstered by Western Kentuckys loss to Louisiana-Monroe Saturday night.
We knew [ULL] had the makings of a very good team, especially from what they showed last year. This is one of those teams that make you feel like they can compete for the whole thing, and obviously right now that holds true, Malzahn said.
ULLs success stems from their ability to create turnovers. They lead the league in turnover margin and have what Malzahn calls an opportunistic and aggressive defense. The Ragin Cajuns have recorded at least one turnover in every game this season.
One of ASUs main concerns is special teams play. Against South Alabama, the Red Wolves shanked two punts and had another blocked.
Believe it or not, there were some parts of the special teams that we actually improved on. However, when you have a game like that, there is nothing really on my mind but the punt team, Malzahn said. We are getting better, but the punt team is definitely a factor, and I plan to get more involved with that aspect of our team.
The Red Wolves will continue its journey for a SBC title Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!