Record day at Indiana Relays
Fresh off their strong performance at their home meet on Jan. 24, the Red Wolves Track and Field squad looked to continue their strong run of form at the Indiana Relays, completing the two-day event at the Gladstein Fieldhouse.
According to the press release, the Indiana Relays featured over 1,200 athletes competing from 25 schools. This event would prove to be a major breakthrough for the A-State as they would set new season-bests times or marks in eleven events for both squads combined.
The A-State women’s and men’s teams entered the meet listed 27th and 43rd, respectively, in the latest U.S. Track &?Field and Cross Country Coaches Association’s national indoor rankings. For the Women’s team, six members would post personal career-best efforts in five different events, while the men would have five team members finish the meet with a career-best showing in six events.
“We had improvement as a team over last week for both our men and women, which means we are moving in the right direction,” said A-State Head Coach Jim Patchell in a press release. “We had several personal bests, which is positive, but we still have some things to iron out before the (Sun Belt) conference championships.”
Senior Sharika Nelvis collected the sole first-place finish for the Lady Red Wolves, winning the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8:17 while Sophomore Emenderlyn Iwuji claimed runner-up honors in the same event with a career-best 8:57. Junior Rexi Parcells also had the second-best time in the 3,000 meter run with a 9:58.97 that was the fastest by an A-State athlete in the event this year according to the press release.
Freshman Erika Christian posted a new personal record of 57:89 in the 400-meter dash, which won the heat for her and ranked third among 21 competitors. Also setting a personal-best time or mark in at least one event for the Red Wolves were Junior Ane Fourie, Junior Tilda Helgesson, Senior Bailey Sisson-Eller and Freshman Erin Farmer.
The men’s team was led by senior Richard Chavez, who won the weight throw with a career-long distance of 19.14m. Senior Kashef Daniel reached a career-best height of 2.15m in the high jump to claim second place in the event, while fellow senior Justin Whitfield claimed sixth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.86 in the finals. Whitfield was joined in the 60-meter semifinals by teammate Senior Raymond Jackson.
Sophomore Jamal Jones set personal-best times in the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash, finishing 10th among 27 runners in the 200 meters. Freshman Clint Ligon set new personal records in two events and sophomore Wil Norris in one. Norris also set the team’s fastest time this season in the 5000-meter run at 15:18.
Two A-State relay teams for both the men and women set new season-best times as well according to the press release.
The Red Wolves return to action Feb. 7-8 at the Missouri Invitational and Nebraska Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists