Red Wolf football player Markel Owens among two dead following Wednesday night shooting
JACKSON, TN - Arkansas State University confirmed this morning that junior defensive lineman Markel Owens was shot and killed last night in his hometown of Jackson, Tenn.
Police in Jackson confirmed that Owens was one of two men shot and killed on Wednesday night in one side of a duplex at 770 Walker Road around 9:30 p.m. A third person, a woman, was shot, taken to the hospital, treated and released, Jackson police said.
Jerry Scott, sports information director at Arkansas State, confirmed the news and said “it’s a sad day for the Red Wolves.”
Arkansas State football’s official Twitter account also confirmed the news this morning, posting the following message:
“Today is a tough day for the Red Wolves family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Markel Owens’ family and friends at this difficult time.”
Several Red Wolf football players also took to social media to express their grief over the loss of their teammate.
Senior placekicker Brian Davis tweeted out the following:
“It’s like losing one of my brothers. You always were looking out for me. Love you Markel Owens one of the best teammates I’ve ever had…RIP.”
Davis then added:
“The world can be so cruel. Hold on to the ones you love the most…”
Sophomore kicker/punter Luke Ferguson also took to Twitter and tweeted this message:
“Hate waking up to news like this. You will be missed Big O!”
The 6-foot-2, 303-pound, 21-year-old native of Jackson played in 11 games this past season, helping lead the Red Wolves (8-5) to at least a share of their third straight Sun Belt Conference title and a second straight victory in the GoDaddy Bowl against Ball State.
Owens would have been a senior this upcoming season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership