Red Wolves bowling struggle early, take second at Wildcat Invitational
The Central Missouri Mules proved to be the Red Wolves bowling team's Achilles’ heel this past weekend as A-State finished second in the Wildcat Invitational.
A-State finishing in fourth place with a 3-2 record on the first day of the three day invitational.
The Red Wolves defeated Alabama A&M in their first match by a total pinfall of 738-653 but lost against tournament host Bethune-Cookman 693-646 shortly afterwards.
Bouncing back, A-State defeated UAB 716-649, but lost their second match to No. 19 McKendree 738-658.
In their final match of day one play the Red Wolves defeated No. 16 Alabama State 783-669.
“The lanes played really difficult today and there wasn’t really a great ball reaction,” A-State women’s bowling coach Justin Kostick said in a press release. “We have to do better tomorrow and keep grining through it.”
A-State set out to make their presence known on day two and jumped from fourth to first place with a 4-1 record on the day.
The Red Wolves lost their first game of the day to North Carolina A&T 952-902, but in straight wins defeated Tulane 937-886, No. 19 Monmouth 1,057-917, Southern 1,063-815, and No. 3 Central Missouri 1,026-915.
A-State players Sarah Lokker and Ashley Rucker also made the all-tournament team. Lokker earned tournament MVP honors with a total pinfall of 1,088 and an average of 217.6. Rucker finished just 13 pins behind Lokker in second place with a total pinfall of 1,075 and an average of 215.
Both players shot their best score in the last match against Central Missouri with Lokker bowling a 236, while Rucker shot a 266.
Kostick was pleased with the improvements made on the second day and said the team adjusted well on day two.
“We made some adjustments today,” Kostick said. “The oil pattern is long oil, which you tend to want to play the inside part of the lane, but we chose to attack them from outside and it was the right decision.”
Day three of the Wildcat Invitational started out in defeat for the Red Wolves as they lost 2-4 to Central Missouri.
A-State quickly bounced back, taking out Monmouth 4-0 but in their second meeting of the day, Central Missouri once again defeated the Red Wolves 4-0.
For Kostick, the recent success of this team was no excuse for how they played this weekend. “We just got beat today by a good team in Central Missouri,” Kostick said. “There is a lot of room for improvement and we need to play better in Houston.”
The Red Wolves are set to hit the lanes again Feb. 14 in Huntsville, Texas at the Kat Klash Invitational.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!