Red Wolves look to build on win
The Red Wolves mens basketball team snapped a two-game losing streak and earned their fifth conference win against ULM with a score of 39-63 this past Saturday.
The 39 points given up by the Red Wolves were just 1 point shy of the ASU record for fewest points allowed in a game.
The team looks to build off its performance against ULM and carry that on the road as they take on Troy University.
This will be the first of two regular season meetings between the Red Wolves and Trojans will mark the last road trip in January for the Red Wolves before entering into a three game home stretch.
The Red Wolves will be traveling without junior forward Kendrick Washington, who was the victim of an assault the night before the ULM game on Saturday.
Assistant Coach Jeff Clapacs said Washington wouldnt be out for the entire year.
Well it was certainly a disappointing blow last week for that to happen to Kendrick, very unfortunate situation, in which he was the victim, Clapacs said. I think our team did a good job of responding playing well with his absence Saturday night and he wont be out for the year maybe a few more games.
Senior Trey Finn, with his 17-point performance in Saturdays contest with ULM, became the 24th player in ASU history to record 1000 points.
It wasnt what I was looking to do coming in here. As a freshman all I wanted to do is come in here and win ball games, do whatever it takes to help my team win games, Finn said.
According to Clapacs, the key to the second half against ULM was setting the tone defensively and he thinks its vital to continue that momentum against Troy.
We want to continue riding our defense holding teams to 60 points or below and if we do that, we feel as if we will be in every single ball game whether we shoot it well or not, Clapacs said.
The team looks to keep pace with UALR, who currently stands one game up on the Red Wolves in the win column for first place in the west division.
Confident about todays game, freshman forward Kelvin Downs said the team has been preparing hard.
Weve been working on zones, a lot of presses, practicing real hard and everyones playing hard defense so were ready to go, Downs said.
Focusing more on the task Troy presents rather than the overall record, Clapacs said its important the Red Wolves defend the 3-point shot.
They shoot 23-24 threes a game which is a lot, so any night a team shoots that many threes theyre having a good night. If they make 10 or 12 you could be in trouble. We need to really contest the 3-point shot and guard the 3-point line, Clapacs said.
Finn understands the importance of this game moving into the 3-game home set against conference opponents.
Its very important, if we can go win this game on Thursday and come home and play those three games we could separate or get tied back with UALR. We just need to take care of business on Thursday, Finn said.
Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m at Troy, Alabama on Thursday, Jan. 24 as the mens basketball team look to earn their sixth conference win and keep pace for first place in the west division.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists