Red Wolves run away from Irish 99-0
Correction: We incorrectly reported in the Feb. 27 Herald that ASU Rugby played Texas A&M on Feb. 25. The opponent was Notre Dame.
Hosting the Irish of Notre Dame in their third game of the season, ASU's A-Side rugby team didn't hold back, defeating the Irish by a final of 99-0.
It did not take long for the club to score as Flanker Sean Patterson scored the first try with 33:59 left in the first half.
Kicker David Caswell split the uprights for a two-point conversion to make it 7-0.
The explosive first half came down to "making tackles and keeping control of the possession," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
During the first half, Patterson would score again at the 14:03 mark, along with other tries from teammates wing/fullback Dale Bates, wing Tito Chitanda, center Zac Mizell (two tries), wing Danie Swanepoel (two tries), and Robert Hayslip.
Caswell was good on eight more conversions to make the half time score 59-0.
In the second half, the Red Wolves continued in route to the shut out, scoring 40 more unanswered points.
The first score came from wing Dylan Carrion at the 28:09 mark making it 64-0.
"That's what happens when we take care of possession out there," coach Huckaby said following the end of the game.
Two more scores from wing/fullback Dale Bates and flanker Paul Benade made the final score 99-0.
"[Our] discipline was good. When scores get high, referees are going be harder on us," Huckaby said. "Overall, we have got to work on few things but the game went pretty well, it was hard to complain and [we] did better on defense."
The ASU A-side will take to the pitch against the Sooners of Oklahoma next Saturday at 1 p.m.
To view more photos of the Red Wolves victory, visit ASUHerald.com
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge