Red Wolves run away from Irish 99-0
Correction: We incorrectly reported in the Feb. 27 Herald that ASU Rugby played Texas A&M on Feb. 25. The opponent was Notre Dame.
Hosting the Irish of Notre Dame in their third game of the season, ASU's A-Side rugby team didn't hold back, defeating the Irish by a final of 99-0.
It did not take long for the club to score as Flanker Sean Patterson scored the first try with 33:59 left in the first half.
Kicker David Caswell split the uprights for a two-point conversion to make it 7-0.
The explosive first half came down to "making tackles and keeping control of the possession," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
During the first half, Patterson would score again at the 14:03 mark, along with other tries from teammates wing/fullback Dale Bates, wing Tito Chitanda, center Zac Mizell (two tries), wing Danie Swanepoel (two tries), and Robert Hayslip.
Caswell was good on eight more conversions to make the half time score 59-0.
In the second half, the Red Wolves continued in route to the shut out, scoring 40 more unanswered points.
The first score came from wing Dylan Carrion at the 28:09 mark making it 64-0.
"That's what happens when we take care of possession out there," coach Huckaby said following the end of the game.
Two more scores from wing/fullback Dale Bates and flanker Paul Benade made the final score 99-0.
"[Our] discipline was good. When scores get high, referees are going be harder on us," Huckaby said. "Overall, we have got to work on few things but the game went pretty well, it was hard to complain and [we] did better on defense."
The ASU A-side will take to the pitch against the Sooners of Oklahoma next Saturday at 1 p.m.
To view more photos of the Red Wolves victory, visit ASUHerald.com
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!