Red Wolves run away from Irish 99-0
Correction: We incorrectly reported in the Feb. 27 Herald that ASU Rugby played Texas A&M on Feb. 25. The opponent was Notre Dame.
Hosting the Irish of Notre Dame in their third game of the season, ASU's A-Side rugby team didn't hold back, defeating the Irish by a final of 99-0.
It did not take long for the club to score as Flanker Sean Patterson scored the first try with 33:59 left in the first half.
Kicker David Caswell split the uprights for a two-point conversion to make it 7-0.
The explosive first half came down to "making tackles and keeping control of the possession," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
During the first half, Patterson would score again at the 14:03 mark, along with other tries from teammates wing/fullback Dale Bates, wing Tito Chitanda, center Zac Mizell (two tries), wing Danie Swanepoel (two tries), and Robert Hayslip.
Caswell was good on eight more conversions to make the half time score 59-0.
In the second half, the Red Wolves continued in route to the shut out, scoring 40 more unanswered points.
The first score came from wing Dylan Carrion at the 28:09 mark making it 64-0.
"That's what happens when we take care of possession out there," coach Huckaby said following the end of the game.
Two more scores from wing/fullback Dale Bates and flanker Paul Benade made the final score 99-0.
"[Our] discipline was good. When scores get high, referees are going be harder on us," Huckaby said. "Overall, we have got to work on few things but the game went pretty well, it was hard to complain and [we] did better on defense."
The ASU A-side will take to the pitch against the Sooners of Oklahoma next Saturday at 1 p.m.
To view more photos of the Red Wolves victory, visit ASUHerald.com
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”