Red Wolves run away from Irish 99-0
Correction: We incorrectly reported in the Feb. 27 Herald that ASU Rugby played Texas A&M on Feb. 25. The opponent was Notre Dame.
Hosting the Irish of Notre Dame in their third game of the season, ASU's A-Side rugby team didn't hold back, defeating the Irish by a final of 99-0.
It did not take long for the club to score as Flanker Sean Patterson scored the first try with 33:59 left in the first half.
Kicker David Caswell split the uprights for a two-point conversion to make it 7-0.
The explosive first half came down to "making tackles and keeping control of the possession," said head coach Matt Huckaby.
During the first half, Patterson would score again at the 14:03 mark, along with other tries from teammates wing/fullback Dale Bates, wing Tito Chitanda, center Zac Mizell (two tries), wing Danie Swanepoel (two tries), and Robert Hayslip.
Caswell was good on eight more conversions to make the half time score 59-0.
In the second half, the Red Wolves continued in route to the shut out, scoring 40 more unanswered points.
The first score came from wing Dylan Carrion at the 28:09 mark making it 64-0.
"That's what happens when we take care of possession out there," coach Huckaby said following the end of the game.
Two more scores from wing/fullback Dale Bates and flanker Paul Benade made the final score 99-0.
"[Our] discipline was good. When scores get high, referees are going be harder on us," Huckaby said. "Overall, we have got to work on few things but the game went pretty well, it was hard to complain and [we] did better on defense."
The ASU A-side will take to the pitch against the Sooners of Oklahoma next Saturday at 1 p.m.
To view more photos of the Red Wolves victory, visit ASUHerald.com
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- A-State network makes Internet use more secure for students
- Alums create nonprofit for their son diagnosed with a rare disease
- A-State art professor among artists featured at Crystal Bridges museum
- #ScandalousSelfie a risky endeavor
- Review: “If I Stay” plays the right melody
- “Flex” your money muscles
- Wearing red brings campus to life
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center