Red Wolves to debut Saturday
After weeks of closed practices, the 2012 Arkansas State Red Wolves football team will make their eagerly anticipated debut this Saturday in the annual Spring Game.
Fans will finally get at a glimpse at what first-year head coach, Gus Malzahn, has in store for a program that went 10-3 last season and earned a spot in the GoDaddy.com Bowl.
The spring practice will begin at 1 p.m. at ASU Stadium.
While it is a full-length practice session, Malzahn said the event will be something for Arkansas State fans to enjoy.
Well try to make it as game-like as possible with our players and play four quarters of football and have a halftime.
Malzahn also instituted an entrance charge of $5 for non-students and fans above the age of 12, for the first time at an ASU spring game.
Malzahn said the reasoning for the institution of the charge is to benefit players and supplement costs in an athletic program that ranked last in the Football Bowl Subdivision in terms of funding last season.
With the charge, Arkansas State joins a short list of schools that charge for admittance to their spring games, including Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Malzahns previous school, Auburn.
At least 400 potential ASU recruits will be in attendance at the event, also acting as the schools Junior Day.
Malzahn said the family atmosphere the team gives off has impressed many recruits who have visited campus.
The school is going to great lengths to bring that atmosphere to the game Saturday with activities before and after.
The first 500 students at the stadium will receive a free Gus Malzahn t-shirt, and the band, Heading South, will begin performing at 11 a.m.
Fans will be able to receive autographs from players and coaches following the game.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections