Red Wolves to debut Saturday
After weeks of closed practices, the 2012 Arkansas State Red Wolves football team will make their eagerly anticipated debut this Saturday in the annual Spring Game.
Fans will finally get at a glimpse at what first-year head coach, Gus Malzahn, has in store for a program that went 10-3 last season and earned a spot in the GoDaddy.com Bowl.
The spring practice will begin at 1 p.m. at ASU Stadium.
While it is a full-length practice session, Malzahn said the event will be something for Arkansas State fans to enjoy.
Well try to make it as game-like as possible with our players and play four quarters of football and have a halftime.
Malzahn also instituted an entrance charge of $5 for non-students and fans above the age of 12, for the first time at an ASU spring game.
Malzahn said the reasoning for the institution of the charge is to benefit players and supplement costs in an athletic program that ranked last in the Football Bowl Subdivision in terms of funding last season.
With the charge, Arkansas State joins a short list of schools that charge for admittance to their spring games, including Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Malzahns previous school, Auburn.
At least 400 potential ASU recruits will be in attendance at the event, also acting as the schools Junior Day.
Malzahn said the family atmosphere the team gives off has impressed many recruits who have visited campus.
The school is going to great lengths to bring that atmosphere to the game Saturday with activities before and after.
The first 500 students at the stadium will receive a free Gus Malzahn t-shirt, and the band, Heading South, will begin performing at 11 a.m.
Fans will be able to receive autographs from players and coaches following the game.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor