Rugby club defeats No. 7 Davenport with late penalty kick
With eight players ruled out of action, the No. 3 Red Wolf rugby club defeated No. 7 ranked Davenport with the aid of successful kicking and a late second half effort.
A-State freshman lock Zach Allen put the first points on the board with a successful try after a big run by junior eighth man Shaun Potgieter. The conversion on the opening try was missed by senior flyhalf Cody Crawford, and the Red Wolves took a quick lead of 5-0.
Davenport managed to score a try in the first half as well as the second half, but missed conversions both times to put themselves ahead 10-5.
Crawford put the Red Wolves up 12-10 after forcing his way into the end zone in the last few minutes of the came and then successfully kicking his conversion.
Davenport and A-State exchanged possession a few times, but after a Davenport penalty, Crawford nailed a successful penalty kick to wrap the game up for the Red Wolf rugby club and defeated the Davenport Panthers by a score of 15-10.
"I think part of the whole game is guys just stepping up and playing the game. I think with injuries happening, it's part of the game. The guys that stepped in today actually stepped up and played" head rugby coach Mani Delaibatiki said.
"We are still quite rusty in the way we play, which is why we started so slow in the game, but we eventually built to a big comeback at the end of the game. Hopefully next time with better days and us practicing outside we can keep that momentum all the way to the end."
The Red Wolves rugby club will be back in action on March 15 in Gretna, LA as they face off against the New Orleans rugby club.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge