Rugby club in pursuit of 15s National Championship
It was a dominant weekend for the Red Wolves Rugby Club, which began its pursuit of a 2014 15s National Championship. The road to the cup began in Jonesboro as the Red Wolves took on the Cal Poly Pamona Broncos. After the first 20 minutes, it became obvious A-State would run away with the game when they took a 21-0 lead over the Broncos.
Mike Baska, Kirk Pretorius, and Conner Cook were all involved in try scores, with Conor Cook converting all three tries. Cal Poly, not looking to go down quietly, scored a try to cut the deficit to 21-5. Unfortunately for Cal Poly, this was the end of their scoring for the afternoon.
Captain Shaun Potgieter scored a try taking the Red Wolves to 26-5. After this, Mike Baska once again found the goal line, and after Cook missed the conversion, A-State found themselves in command of a 31-5 rout. The bleeding was not stopped, however, and Tomo Hausseeor ran for 60 meters to take another score, pushing the lead to 36-5.
The final score came from Dylan Carrion, whose fringe attack put the Red Wolves at their final margin of victory 43-5. With the win, A-State heads to Marietta, Ga. to take on their rival, Life University. Life managed to take down the Red Wolves in both season matchups between the two, but the Red Wolves hope to win the semifinal matchup in hostile territory. The game begins at 2 p.m. this Saturday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections