Rugby club in pursuit of 15s National Championship
It was a dominant weekend for the Red Wolves Rugby Club, which began its pursuit of a 2014 15s National Championship. The road to the cup began in Jonesboro as the Red Wolves took on the Cal Poly Pamona Broncos. After the first 20 minutes, it became obvious A-State would run away with the game when they took a 21-0 lead over the Broncos.
Mike Baska, Kirk Pretorius, and Conner Cook were all involved in try scores, with Conor Cook converting all three tries. Cal Poly, not looking to go down quietly, scored a try to cut the deficit to 21-5. Unfortunately for Cal Poly, this was the end of their scoring for the afternoon.
Captain Shaun Potgieter scored a try taking the Red Wolves to 26-5. After this, Mike Baska once again found the goal line, and after Cook missed the conversion, A-State found themselves in command of a 31-5 rout. The bleeding was not stopped, however, and Tomo Hausseeor ran for 60 meters to take another score, pushing the lead to 36-5.
The final score came from Dylan Carrion, whose fringe attack put the Red Wolves at their final margin of victory 43-5. With the win, A-State heads to Marietta, Ga. to take on their rival, Life University. Life managed to take down the Red Wolves in both season matchups between the two, but the Red Wolves hope to win the semifinal matchup in hostile territory. The game begins at 2 p.m. this Saturday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care