Soccer keeps clean slate at home
The ASU womens soccer team won back-to-back home games this weekend to continue their winning streak to 5-2, remaining undefeated at home.
The Lady Red Wolves defeated Tennessee-Martin on Friday with a final score of 4-1, and then returned to beat Central Arkansas 2-0 on Sunday.
Head coach Tafadzwa Ziyenge was in good spirits as the referee blew the final whistle of Sundays game.
Im very proud of my girls for both wins this weekend. That was our goal and they achieved it, Ziyenge said.
Sundays match began with a strong first half from ASU. In just the seventh minute of the game, senior forward Ashley McMurtry sent a strong cross over UCA defenders heads, while freshman forward Loren Mitchell was left in perfect position to head the ball into the net, giving ASU the early lead.
The second goal came 20 minutes later, when strong pressure from the forwards led to a collapse in the Bears defense.
Sophomore Christina Fink poked the ball away from the center defender, passing it to junior Kristina Rivera for the tap-in as UCAs goalkeeper was out of the net.
Despite shifts in momentum and several key chances for the Bears in the second half, Central Arkansas was simply unable to put the ball in the back of the net.
Senior goalkeeper, Aja Aguirre make nine big saves and was able to maintain the 90-minute shutout, playing a key role in the 2-0 victory.
It is such a good feeling to remain undefeated at home. I hope to see our momentum continue as we hit the road for the next two weekends, senior Mallory McGilvray said.
The Lady Red Wolves will be on the road for the next four match ups, starting with a match up against Southern Mississippi on Friday, Sept. 14.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
RECENT ASU HERALD CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?