Soccer secures spot at SBC tournament
The ASU womens soccer team celebrated Saturdays victory over Florida Atlantic, as the win guaranteed the team both a winning season and a spot in the conference tournament.
Saturday was also Senior Day and made for a very memorable experience for the three seniors as ASU defeated FAU with a final score of 5-4.
The win improved the teams conference record to 4-4-1, and puts them in 5th place in the current Sun Belt rankings.
The first two goals were scored back-to-back by freshman forward Katey Carmichael in the 16th minute and then again in the 17th minute of the first half. The first goal started with a rebound off the post that Carmichael was able to finish.
Just one minute later, sophomore Katie Hosea crossed the ball into the box and Carmichael was able to finish once again.
The momentum then shifted throughout the remainder of the first half, as the Owls scored three goals in a row to go into half time with a 3-2 lead over the Red Wolves.
Beginning the second half, senior Aja Aguirre replaced junior goalkeeper Audrey Baldwin in the net. Play continued as both teams battled for the Sun Belt victory.
In the 58th minute, senior Ashley McMurtry tied the game for the Red Wolves when she finished a rebound off the crossbar to make the game 3-3.
The Owls werent ready to give up, however. FAU scored in the 63rd minute on a long shot from the top of the box, making the score 4-3 with 27 minutes left of play.
Just three minutes later the Red Wolves struck again when sophomore Christina Fink scored a head goal off a cross from McMurtry to make the score 4-4.
The final 20 minutes of the game were back and forth, and filled with intensity.
In the 85th minute, junior Kristina Rivera placed the ball into the corner of the net after receiving a slot pass from freshman Jordan Adams.
Fans went crazy as ASU maintained the lead for the remaining five minutes, defeating the Owls.
Head coach Tafadzwa Ziyenge is proud of the teams accomplishments. The 2012 girls are the very first to secure a winning season in the history of our soccer program. They are the absolute very first and never will it be possible for anyone to take away this honor.
Following the final whistle, the teams three seniors were honored with a senior presentation. Seniors Aja Aguirre, Ashley McMurtry, and Mallory McGilvray were thankful to secure their last home game for ASU with a victory.
The three seniors said they were glad they were able to pull off a win for senior day and it means a lot to them to step off the field with a result like they had for the last time. They also mentioned they cant wait to continue this momentum as they head into the conference tournament.
The Red Wolves will play its final regular season conference game next weekend, as they head to Little Rock to take on UALR on Friday, Oct. 26. Kick off will be at 1 p.m.
Results of next weekends game will finalize the Sun Belt standings as the top eight teams in the conference will be invited to play in the conference tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge