Soccer secures spot at SBC tournament
The ASU womens soccer team celebrated Saturdays victory over Florida Atlantic, as the win guaranteed the team both a winning season and a spot in the conference tournament.
Saturday was also Senior Day and made for a very memorable experience for the three seniors as ASU defeated FAU with a final score of 5-4.
The win improved the teams conference record to 4-4-1, and puts them in 5th place in the current Sun Belt rankings.
The first two goals were scored back-to-back by freshman forward Katey Carmichael in the 16th minute and then again in the 17th minute of the first half. The first goal started with a rebound off the post that Carmichael was able to finish.
Just one minute later, sophomore Katie Hosea crossed the ball into the box and Carmichael was able to finish once again.
The momentum then shifted throughout the remainder of the first half, as the Owls scored three goals in a row to go into half time with a 3-2 lead over the Red Wolves.
Beginning the second half, senior Aja Aguirre replaced junior goalkeeper Audrey Baldwin in the net. Play continued as both teams battled for the Sun Belt victory.
In the 58th minute, senior Ashley McMurtry tied the game for the Red Wolves when she finished a rebound off the crossbar to make the game 3-3.
The Owls werent ready to give up, however. FAU scored in the 63rd minute on a long shot from the top of the box, making the score 4-3 with 27 minutes left of play.
Just three minutes later the Red Wolves struck again when sophomore Christina Fink scored a head goal off a cross from McMurtry to make the score 4-4.
The final 20 minutes of the game were back and forth, and filled with intensity.
In the 85th minute, junior Kristina Rivera placed the ball into the corner of the net after receiving a slot pass from freshman Jordan Adams.
Fans went crazy as ASU maintained the lead for the remaining five minutes, defeating the Owls.
Head coach Tafadzwa Ziyenge is proud of the teams accomplishments. The 2012 girls are the very first to secure a winning season in the history of our soccer program. They are the absolute very first and never will it be possible for anyone to take away this honor.
Following the final whistle, the teams three seniors were honored with a senior presentation. Seniors Aja Aguirre, Ashley McMurtry, and Mallory McGilvray were thankful to secure their last home game for ASU with a victory.
The three seniors said they were glad they were able to pull off a win for senior day and it means a lot to them to step off the field with a result like they had for the last time. They also mentioned they cant wait to continue this momentum as they head into the conference tournament.
The Red Wolves will play its final regular season conference game next weekend, as they head to Little Rock to take on UALR on Friday, Oct. 26. Kick off will be at 1 p.m.
Results of next weekends game will finalize the Sun Belt standings as the top eight teams in the conference will be invited to play in the conference tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Sigma Pi suspended following rape allegations, arrest of two members
- Here she is, Miss ASU
- A-State finalist in safe school competition
- Businesses bring more affordable opportunities to Joneboro
- Is rape culture the new pop culture?
- Free the Nipple movement reaching out
- Beck PRIDE Center receives $15k grant
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG