Tennis to compete at Sun Belt tournament
It’s been a tough season for the A-State women’s tennis team.
The season has been a roller coaster ride of tough losses and close wins.
Despite this, A-State still has a shot at bringing home the Sun Belt Conference title.
The Red Wolves finished the regular season with a 6-10 record, including a three game losing streak to end the season that included losses to future Sun Belt members Idaho and New Mexico State.
Despite the downturn, the Red Wolves managed to go undefeated at home, taking a 4-0 record at Allen Park.
The undefeated home record marks the first time since 2000 A-State has managed such a feat.
Freshman Julie Gauguery of Sailley-en-Ostrevent, France led the Red Wolves with 10 singles wins on the season, while junior Tamara Slijepcevic from Novi Sad, Serbia took second on the team with a 9-7 record.
Senior Janie Nowland of Buda, Texas ranks third on the team with an 8-7 singles record.
The Red Wolves will enter into the Sun Belt Conference tournament this weekend with the seventh out of nine seed overall.
Their opponent will be the second seeded Texas-Arlington Mavericks, who are new to the Sun Belt Conference.
The Mavericks finished 11-7 overall, and bring a three game win streak into the tournament that includes wins over former Sun Belt members North Texas and Middle Tennessee State.
A-State hopes to avoid a repeat of last season, where the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State ousted them in the first round by a score of 4-3.
The winner of that game will take on the winner of third seed South Alabama and sixth seed Louisiana-Monroe.
A-State tennis fans that want to keep up with all the action from this weekend’s tournament should head to sunbeltsports.org or check out the A-State athletics Twitter feed @astateredwolves.
Arkansas State’s match is set to begin at 11:30 a.m. on Friday in New Orleans, La.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge