Tennis to compete at Sun Belt tournament
It’s been a tough season for the A-State women’s tennis team.
The season has been a roller coaster ride of tough losses and close wins.
Despite this, A-State still has a shot at bringing home the Sun Belt Conference title.
The Red Wolves finished the regular season with a 6-10 record, including a three game losing streak to end the season that included losses to future Sun Belt members Idaho and New Mexico State.
Despite the downturn, the Red Wolves managed to go undefeated at home, taking a 4-0 record at Allen Park.
The undefeated home record marks the first time since 2000 A-State has managed such a feat.
Freshman Julie Gauguery of Sailley-en-Ostrevent, France led the Red Wolves with 10 singles wins on the season, while junior Tamara Slijepcevic from Novi Sad, Serbia took second on the team with a 9-7 record.
Senior Janie Nowland of Buda, Texas ranks third on the team with an 8-7 singles record.
The Red Wolves will enter into the Sun Belt Conference tournament this weekend with the seventh out of nine seed overall.
Their opponent will be the second seeded Texas-Arlington Mavericks, who are new to the Sun Belt Conference.
The Mavericks finished 11-7 overall, and bring a three game win streak into the tournament that includes wins over former Sun Belt members North Texas and Middle Tennessee State.
A-State hopes to avoid a repeat of last season, where the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State ousted them in the first round by a score of 4-3.
The winner of that game will take on the winner of third seed South Alabama and sixth seed Louisiana-Monroe.
A-State tennis fans that want to keep up with all the action from this weekend’s tournament should head to sunbeltsports.org or check out the A-State athletics Twitter feed @astateredwolves.
Arkansas State’s match is set to begin at 11:30 a.m. on Friday in New Orleans, La.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership