Weekend match brings chance for bid to nationals
On Sept. 29, Arkansas State Rugbys 7s club will step onto Florida States rugby field in Tallahassee, Fla. and give it everything they have. This is more than an away game.
This weekend we are going to compete to win the qualifier that gets us an automatic bid to the National Championships in December, center Zac Mizell said. We didnt get one last year, so we are going to try really hard to this year.
Harry Higgins, who plays prop for the 7s club said he remembers last years loss.
Last year, we got beat by Life University (Marietta, Ga.), both in the qualifier for nationals and in the semi-final match at nationals. Both games were a draw until the last seconds, Higgins said. However, last year is last year and this year, we are fired up and even more dedicated to win it. I believe in my teammates and honestly think we can win Nationals. We came so close last year.
On Sept. 15, the team competed in the Battle of the Stones River 7s tournament held by Middle Tennessee State in Murfreesboro, Tenn. The Red Wolves two teams, A-side and B-side, took first and second place in the tournament.
The overall fitness, athleticism and ball handling skill work was great for this time of year, head coach Matt Huckaby said. That was really a warm-up game to knock the rust off, but we need to tighten up our defense, it needs to be faster and harder. We need to put more pressure on teams and we need to solidify our restarts, set pieces and back line moves a lot better. We just need to clean them up.
Although winning a spot to the national championship game is the outcome the team wants, Huckaby said there are aspects within the team he hopes to achieve throughout the season.
We have a lot of new guys who we need to get plugged into our system, Huckaby said. We will lose a lot of guys after this year, so we really want to work a lot on passing the torch and the standards. Every year we try to get better as a team, as a culture within the team and just keep pushing that standard up.
Wing and center Dean Gericke said he has faith in the teams ability to pass the torch.
We have a lot of depth, Gericke said. If we sub someone in, they can still keep things going smooth. We definitely have more depth as a team than we did last year.
If team wins this weekendss tournament, they will gain an automatic bid to the championship game that will be played Nov. 30-Dec. 1.
Our first goal is to get a bid this weekend, Mizell said. After that, win the national championship. We shouldnt expect anything else.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Halloween costuming: a college guide
- A-State implements new laundry alert system for on campus residents
- Business students create program to help ready students for interviews
- Governor candidates debate at A-State
- SGA: A-State declared bike-friendly university
- Faculty, admins continue budget discussions
- Our View:
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!