What the Howl? It's time for A-State to show its spirit
We all remember the promotional video with #PackPride in it, the one with all the students going about their days, unable to stop telling people about their “Pack pride.” I thought the video was well thought out and well executed and A-State even backed it up by handing out #PackPride shirts after the first pep-rally. The problem is, there are still too many people who don’t understand the meaning behind the statement “Pack pride.”
Every day, people can be seen wearing other school’s apparel, from the Arkansas Razorbacks to the Central Arkansas Bears. Not bashing any of these schools, they are a great school and give the state of Arkansas a great name, but what I am talking about is how many people decide to represent a school they aren’t affiliated with. Instead of showing support for the school you attend, pay money for, and in most cases spend all of your time at, you decide to represent a school that most likely doesn’t give you anything in return.
Some people have tried to explain their rationale by saying, “You don’t know what it’s like growing up where I’m from. Everyone in my town roots for the Razorbacks!” Or they’ll say things like, “It is just part of my wardrobe.” Well, I’m here to tell you you should get it out of your wardrobe. Leave them deep in your clothing drawer and save them for when you aren’t walking around A-State.
I do know what it is like to grow up being a fan of a university that is not A-State. In-fact, growing up in Memphis, Tenn. will teach you all about being a devoted fan, as it is a very fanatical city in its own right. Not only did I grow up a Tigers fan, my father had season tickets to the football games, meaning we attended almost every single one as I grew up. Despite this, when I made my decision to come to A-State a few years ago, I packed none of my Tigers apparel with me and collected as much free A-State gear I could get my hands on (which is a lot). Doing this showed the Pack Pride I felt to everyone that saw me. I’m not telling you to stop being a fan of a team you grew up with, but we have to be willing to show our Pack Pride through out in everyday life.
On the same note, Pack Pride goes beyond what you wear on a day to day basis. It extends to showing pride in your school. For example, A-State was chalk full of pride during football season as they packed The Vault with more than 25,000 visitors on many different occasions. That has dwindled at the start of this second semester. We can’t even get 5,000 fans on a regular basis for our basketball teams. This is embarrassing, especially for how hard and well our men’s and women’s basketball teams have been playing this season. They are both on a push to get phenomenal seeding for the Sun Belt Conference Championship and could really use a packed Convocation Center for the remainder of their games. Aside from basketball, there are tons of athletes who have donned the red and black to represent us all, and we can’t even bother to go out and watch them for an hour or two.
Let us bring the Pack Pride back to this school by attending more events and showing off all the A-State apparel you have acquired over the years, and if that isn’t much, maybe it’s time to revamp your wardrobe.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Volleyball continues dominating the Sun Belt
- A-state women’s basketball dominates preseason competition
- A-State ROTC inducts three into Hall of Heroes
- A-State ranked in top 100 list of “Best for Vets”
- Awareness Project impacts A-State students and faculty
- Howl named one of the top 10 national mascots
- Deathtrap: the perfect play for murder
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge