What the Howl? It's time for A-State to show its spirit
We all remember the promotional video with #PackPride in it, the one with all the students going about their days, unable to stop telling people about their “Pack pride.” I thought the video was well thought out and well executed and A-State even backed it up by handing out #PackPride shirts after the first pep-rally. The problem is, there are still too many people who don’t understand the meaning behind the statement “Pack pride.”
Every day, people can be seen wearing other school’s apparel, from the Arkansas Razorbacks to the Central Arkansas Bears. Not bashing any of these schools, they are a great school and give the state of Arkansas a great name, but what I am talking about is how many people decide to represent a school they aren’t affiliated with. Instead of showing support for the school you attend, pay money for, and in most cases spend all of your time at, you decide to represent a school that most likely doesn’t give you anything in return.
Some people have tried to explain their rationale by saying, “You don’t know what it’s like growing up where I’m from. Everyone in my town roots for the Razorbacks!” Or they’ll say things like, “It is just part of my wardrobe.” Well, I’m here to tell you you should get it out of your wardrobe. Leave them deep in your clothing drawer and save them for when you aren’t walking around A-State.
I do know what it is like to grow up being a fan of a university that is not A-State. In-fact, growing up in Memphis, Tenn. will teach you all about being a devoted fan, as it is a very fanatical city in its own right. Not only did I grow up a Tigers fan, my father had season tickets to the football games, meaning we attended almost every single one as I grew up. Despite this, when I made my decision to come to A-State a few years ago, I packed none of my Tigers apparel with me and collected as much free A-State gear I could get my hands on (which is a lot). Doing this showed the Pack Pride I felt to everyone that saw me. I’m not telling you to stop being a fan of a team you grew up with, but we have to be willing to show our Pack Pride through out in everyday life.
On the same note, Pack Pride goes beyond what you wear on a day to day basis. It extends to showing pride in your school. For example, A-State was chalk full of pride during football season as they packed The Vault with more than 25,000 visitors on many different occasions. That has dwindled at the start of this second semester. We can’t even get 5,000 fans on a regular basis for our basketball teams. This is embarrassing, especially for how hard and well our men’s and women’s basketball teams have been playing this season. They are both on a push to get phenomenal seeding for the Sun Belt Conference Championship and could really use a packed Convocation Center for the remainder of their games. Aside from basketball, there are tons of athletes who have donned the red and black to represent us all, and we can’t even bother to go out and watch them for an hour or two.
Let us bring the Pack Pride back to this school by attending more events and showing off all the A-State apparel you have acquired over the years, and if that isn’t much, maybe it’s time to revamp your wardrobe.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Gubernational Debate
- Mythbusters: Greek life edition
- Golf player dismissed from team after arrested and charged with sodomy
- Mold found in dorms causes health concerns for residents and staff
- College mergers, possible restructuring to follow decline in student enrollment
- The writing center relocates for easier student access
- Student activity center construction update
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”