Womens basketball extends winning streak to four
The ASU womens basketball team extends their winning streak pushing it to four games with a 71-58 win over ULM. Saturdays win marks the first time the Lady Red Wolves have reached .500 this season with an overall record of 9-9 and a 6-3 SBC record, tied with North Texas for first place in the west division.
Its easier to be on top than fight your way back up, sophomore guard Hanna Qedan said.
Leading the way for the Red Wolves in scoring was Qedan who finished with 17 points along with junior forward Jane Morrill who scored 14.
The team shot just under 60 percent from the court and scored a season high 46 points in the first half.
It helps build everybodys confidence. Once I was able to hit those, everybody gets excited and gets them confident enough to make their shots too. Qedan said.
Despite the Red Wolves 46-22 lead heading into half time, the second half told a different story with ULM out- scoring ASU 36-25 but failing to complete the comeback.
Its part of athletics, being able to maintain that intensity. Our first half has probably been the best first half weve played all year, which was really good. We dropped off in the second half and part of that had to do with our opponents, they played much better, said head coach Brian Boyer
The Red Wolves also continued their stellar 3-point defense Saturday against ULM, holding them to only 3-for-15 (20 percent) shooting from behind the arc.
We just want to keep rolling and keep motivating ourselves to do better, Morrill said.
The team looks to continue their high level of play when they travel to Troy to take on the Lady Trojans today.
We like the position were in. We just have to keep winning one game at a time. said Boyer.
After starting the season off slow and falling to a 2-7 record, the Red Wolves have since won seven of their last nine games and hold a tie for first place in the west division.
Its a really good position to have because its intimidating to other people when they play us, it gives us motivation, Qedan said.
Coach Boyer talked about the challenges his team faces moving forward into the game at Troy and returning home for a potential match up between two firstplace teams with FAU.
Both of them together, the pace of the game is a big deal. They both are very fast paced, very high scoring teams. So its mainly working on transition defense. Making sure we get our defense established, Boyer said.
Boyer also alluded to the key for both up-coming match ups is taking advantage of their strength in the low post.
Our strength all year has been the inside game. We have an advantage in that position in both of these games. As a team, thats got to continue to be a focal point, Boyer said.
Tip off is set for 5:15 p.m. Thursday in Troy, Ala.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ASU Herald News Articles
Recent ASU Herald News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR ASU HERALD
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST ASU HERALD NEWS
- Brian Dooley named Women’s Head Soccer Coach
- Police: 2 men charged in rape allegation investigation
- Red Wolves lose a close one, but respond with a blowout win over Texas State
- A-State’s track team sets records at the season opener in Kentucky
- Our View: Personal security as valuable as electronic security
- A-State men’s basketball snaps losing skid with two wins
- Red Wolves get run over in GoDaddy Bowl
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World